4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 3:16 PM by disabled_JohnWolff

Remote (online) Backup recommendations?

micinfo

I just switched from FMS 8.5 to FMS 11 and also upgraded the server to new hardware running OS 10.8.3. The backup structure is different on FMS 11 and is no longer compatible with iBackup which I have been using for online backups.

The new folder structure for FMS 11 includes a time/date stamp on the backup folder which is a good thing, but iBackup wants to see a constant folder path, that the timestamp messes things up because you can only tell it to back up files but not folders (ie, I can't just designate a "Remote Backup" folder since it contains the backed up folder that's time stamped).

Anyway, my database is almost 2 gig and I want to make daily remote backups and so obviously I need to accumulate incremental backups, similar to Time Machine but only on a daily basis.

So can anyone kindly recommend an online backup service that saves incremental backups from FMS 11 and offer a strategy for doing so

Thanks so much.

Phil.

• 1. Re: Remote (online) Backup recommendations?
          MattLeach

This may or may not work for you, but when it came time to implement an offsite back i did not want to get locked down to paying for a particular service.

Instead, i purchased a Synology NAS box loaded with 4TB worth of hard drive space in RAID1. On my FileMaker Server, i run my normal backup routine every hour, and twice a day, i have a script that runs which backs up to the NAS device located offsite.

• 2. Re: Remote (online) Backup recommendations?

Hi Phil,

I've used Rob Russell's shell script and found it reliable for archiving the Backups folder with all of our FM 11 files to a another HD.

http://www.sumware.net/robfm2/?p=27

For our Off-Site backup, I use CrashPlan as it only requires a named folder to locate al ofl the zipped files therein.

I hope this helps,

John

• 3. Re: Remote (online) Backup recommendations?
              micinfo

Not sure what you mean by "zipped files". I'm want to take the standard FMS backup files and archive them to a remote location. I use FMS scheduler to make onboard backups, Time Machine to make BUs to an external RAID, and also burn to a DVD each morning.

If I use CrashPlan to make online backups, it will accumulate alomst 2 gig each day, right? So how does Crashplan make incremental backups when each day's backup is in a folder with a different timestamp? That's my dilemma. It definitely doesn't work with iBackup.

I wish Apple had an option to pay to have ANY files included in iCloud. At least for files generated by apps from companies Apple owns (like FMI)!

• 4. Re: Remote (online) Backup recommendations?

Hi Phil,

I don't see any value in an incremental backup for the archives that I want to save. I'd rather have eveything exactly as it was at the time that FMS made its backup. \

What I do for my CrashPlan achives is point it to a specific folder where I only retain zipped backups of files from the last 10 days. They are zipped and put there using one of Rob's shell scripts run from a specific schedule.

The zipped file is ca one fifth as large as the original folder. In your case the 2 GB would be reduced to ca 400 MB with no loss of data.

I hope this helps to explain my procedure.

Cheers,

John