10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 2:30 PM by MicheleOlson

How to host Runtime file on FMS 11

MicheleOlson

I'm missing something and am not sure what.

I have a client for whom I developed a runtime application which they sell to their customers. (FMPA 11 Runtime) A few of their customers have FileMaker Server and would like to host the file from server, so backups could easily occur. A single user accesses the file, but may access it from many different computers within the organization.

It would seem this is straigtforward. Just load the bound data file to server putting it in a correct valid location, but I can't get server to recognize the extension. I have registered the runtime's extension within the database server and checked the box Allow FileMaker Server to host registered runtime solutions, but when I try to upload the file, it is not accessible - dimmed out.

If you have experience with this, I'd appreciate an assist. This is not something I've done before. I am following the instructions in the FM11 help, but I must be missing some detail, because it is not working for me.

Thanks,

Michele

• 1. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
          jml

Have you tried renaming the runtime solution file extension to .fp7?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
            MicheleOlson

Yes and no. I do have a copy of the file that I renamed with the .fp7 extension. That works - in fact I believe that unbinds it.

I just thought there was a way to have server host a file with a different extension (in this case .ihp), but I can't seem to get it to recognize that one.

Thanks for the thought.

• 3. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
              ch0c0halic

Do you realize that the Runtime engine, the executable on the client machine, does not have the ability (no networking) to access the file on FMS? The client will need a copy of FMP/A/Go to access the hosted file.

• 4. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
                MicheleOlson

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, I do know that.

I am just trying to register the bound file with its extension (.ihp) so that FMS will upload it, then the clients can access that file via FMP/A (no Go option here).

This option would be for those customers that have other FileMaker files using FMS and want to take advantage of the backup capability of FMS.

I believe that I followed the directions in the FMPA and FMS manual, but the extension does not *stay* registered and thus the file will not upload.

Thanks for any other info you can add.

Best,

Michele

• 5. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
                  wimdecorte

Has the server been configured to allow hosted runtimes?

If so, try to bypass the admin console upload feature and move the files to the server manually, put them in a hostable folder and see if FMS wants to open them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
                    MicheleOlson

Hi Wim,

Yes, it has. I am testing the process on my server at this time and ran into the issue where the file could not be uploaded.

My plan was to prepare the simpliest instructions for the customers that choose this option and had FMS and FMP/A clients.

I will try moving the files into a hostable folder and see how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michele

• 7. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
                      MicheleOlson

I tried putting the file with the .ihp extension in a hostable folder, but FMS still did not recognize it. I changed the extension to .fp7 and - of course - it did.

So I have solved the way to host the file by changing the extension, but I have not learned why I was unable to do so using the runtime extension after registering it.

Problem resolved, but questions still remain.

Thanks for ideas all.

Michele

• 8. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
                        ch0c0halic

As a 'simple' test I first set my FMS to allow the .ihp extensions. (One checkbox and one extension "ihp" entry, no period). Then I renamed a file with the "ihp" extension and uploaded it. It uploaded and opened in FMS without a problem. I was then able to open it with FMP.

It wasn't a bound file so maybe that is the issue?

As a test can you try this with an unbound copy of the file?

• 9. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
                          MicheleOlson

Good idea, Jimmy. I'll try that.

I am using FMS 11 BTW, just to make sure we are on same page.

• 10. Re: How to host Runtime file on FMS 11
                            MicheleOlson

Worked. And the bound file worked this time as well.

It may have been a difference between using Admin Console on the remote Mac and using Admin Console on the server. That is the only thing that is different that I could tell. (Remote is MtLion w/Java 7 Update 17; FMS is 10.6.8 w/Java SE6 Update 24).

I tried the test file with renamed extension. It loaded fine from the desktop of the FMS computer, when it had not from the remote computer.

Then moved a copy of the bound file to same desktop and it loaded fine.

Thanks for the idea Jimmy. The process now works as instructions describe; perhaps an oddity caused by different Javas.

Michele