3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 6:42 AM by taylorsharpe

Will 12 v4 happen for Advanced and PRO versions ?

intex

Hopefully we get a 12 v4 version for FM Adv and PRO too. There are still enough bugs to eliminate ... Has anyone heard of another service update in the near future ?

• 1. Re: Will 12 v4 happen for Advanced and PRO versions ?
          taylorsharpe

FM won't ever say until it comes out.  But I am sure one of their fixes will be to get rid of the Java 6 dependency like they did with the server in FMS12v4.  This is primarily a security fix, but Java 6 has become quite a vulnerability problem and it will be good to get away from it.  This is one of the important reasons for staying current on FileMaker software, which is to minize security vulnerabilities. 

• 2. Re: Will 12 v4 happen for Advanced and PRO versions ?
            RonSmithMD

Yeah, well, if FM wants to really do the security update it needs to, then they need to scrap Java (POJ) period. We always only hop from one security issue to the next. The fact is that Java will NEVER be secure. The sooner FM realizes that and invests the time and energy to leave it behind the better.

Just adding my broken record to everyone else's.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 3. Re: Will 12 v4 happen for Advanced and PRO versions ?
              taylorsharpe

I remember when we had a non-Java Admin Console for the Server and think that was version 8.  But for some reason, FMPv12 is tied to 6.  For example, if you remove Java 6 complete and try to run FMP, it will warn you that Java 6 is not installed.  Keep in mind you can have Java 7 installed on your machine at the same time as 6.  Actually, you can have as many versions running as you want.  But ideally, we want to get away from Java 6 and FMP12v3 requires it. 

But I agree with Ron Smith that Java has become a real pain and migrating away from it sure looks like it would be an improvement.