10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 5:30 AM by gdurniak

Sharing FMP file on a hospital server

rkassis

Hello, I am pretty new to FMP and I have a few questions in regards to hosting FMP databases. I decided to purchase FMP a week ago as opposed to FMP server since I will be only sharing the database with 3 users. The database is for patient management in a sector for cancer research at a hospital. The only problem is I can only share the file via peer-to-peer hosting, which is not reliable. I would like to know if its possible if I can host the file via a hospital server so I dont have to store the file on a local desktop and keep it on for sharing. Any help would be great

Thank you

• 1. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
          mikebeargie

Yes, you can run the peer-to-peer by installing the filemaker pro program on the server, and opening the file to share it from there. The server will need it's own license of filemaker pro, along with yourself and your three users.

There are a LOT of advantages that you should consider with the server version, mainly the ability to backup your data without the need to take down the file. If I were you I'd lobby for a license of server edition asap.

• 2. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
            gdurniak

My brother is in a school with the same problem.  Since they already had FileMaker Server running,  he was able to plead with the IT Dept to host his file as well

But then he had to get a user name & password to access that file, to update or replace ( if edited off line ), since the folders are protected

This took weeks

otherwise it's probably easier to run it locally, with a mac mini, or even an old laptop

greg

> I would like to know if its possible if I can host the file via a hospital server so I dont have to store the file on a local desktop and keep it on for sharing

• 3. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
              wimdecorte

gdurniak wrote:

But then he had to get a user name & password to access that file, to update or replace ( if edited off line ), since the folders are protected

Careful with that: once a file is hosted (through FM Server or FM Pro) it should NEVER be touched directly from the folder it lives in.  Doing so WILL corrupt your file in the long run.

Once a file is hosted the ONLY way to open it is through Open Remote.

From what you write it sounds like you prefer to open the file directly from its folder on the server.  Don't.

• 4. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
                gdurniak

"if edited off line" means we close the file on server,  then take the file home

greg

> From what you write it sounds like you prefer to open the file directly from its folder on the server.  Don't.

• 5. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
                  mikebeargie

With filemaker 12's new "download file" option in the server control panel. I think the best way to offline it would be:

1) Close

2) Download

3) Changes to downloaded file.

4) Unhost live file

4) Re-host changed file

I wish there was an "overwrite/upload" feature where you could upload the latest version of a database, overwriting the old one. but alas, manual subversioning is the way to go.

Oh, and the above works best using the data separation model, so you are updating an interface and the data never is in an "offline" state.

• 6. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
                    rkassis

Thank you all for the feedback. I see it's a bit more complicated than it looks. Problem is the hospital server does a backup everynight and I cannot host the file from a personal computer due to confidentiality issues. The file must be on the hospital network, specifically in a folder where only the doctors and nurses that will use the file have access to it. I have no idea to work around this but I will try to get the slow and unresponsive IT here to help me out.

• 7. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
                      mikebeargie

Still sounds like getting a copy of filemaker server is your best option.

1) You need to host it ON the server (not on a personal computer)

2) Filemaker (the desktop version) will not gracefully support the backup processes on the server (but filemaker server edition will).

• 8. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
                        rkassis

So with filemaker server I will have the capabilty to host my database on the hospital server? Would I need only one copy of FMS or a copy per user? Will I also be able to edit it (I heard it opening the file can corrupt it if the host keeps changing).

• 9. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
                          wimdecorte

Just the one copy of FMS.

Best practice is not to do development on the file while users are actually working on it.

• 10. Re: Sharing FMP file on a hospital server
                            gdurniak

Yes, it can be eidted

and moving the file to a new "host" machine does no harm

in the old days, the Host IP was stored with each hidden file reference, and made a mess. File references are now editable

greg

> Will I also be able to edit it ( I heard it opening the file can corrupt it if the host keeps changing )

Message was edited by: gdurniak