6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2013 12:30 PM by Stephen Huston

12.04 OSX Restart Required?

BruceRobertson

I received the following message from FileMaker Developer Relations:

Please note, after downloading and applying the FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 or FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 Advanced update on Mac OS X, you must re-start your machine before using the software.

Best regards,

FileMaker Developer Relations

It does not appear to be literally true - I launched FileMaker without restarting and it appeared to work fine.

So what is really happening here?

If you launch 12.0v4 without restarting is there really a problem?

If you have launched 12.0v4 without restarting, and then go ahead and restart, does that solve the problem?

Bruce

• 1. Re: 12.04 OSX Restart Required?
          jhaffner

I, too, updated 12.0v4 yesterday and ran it (briefly) without apparent problems. I have rebooted since then, and ran 12.0v4 after I saw the announcement.

Bruce, you've asked the question I'd like to see answered!

John

(Mac OS X 10.8.3)

• 2. Re: 12.04 OSX Restart Required?
            flybynight

I've been using it all day without a restart after installing the updater this morning. Then I received the same email… And now I'm wondering why? I hate it when they don't provide an explaination. Have I been doing something that could harm my database?

Laters,

-Shawn

• 3. Re: 12.04 OSX Restart Required?
              Stephen Huston

Dave Simerly reports that some users had their OSX Keychains quit working after the 12.0v4updater ran on Mac -- until doing a reboot, so FMI sent the email blast as a precautionary warning -- just in case you were one of those who encountered a problem.

• 4. Re: 12.04 OSX Restart Required?
                Benjamin Fehr

TSGal wrote yesterday:

"The issue only occurs with the FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 updater; not with the full version. We are temporarily removing the Mac updater until this matter can be further investigated and resolved. …"

• 5. Re: 12.04 OSX Restart Required?
                  flybynight

I didn't see a full version installer available, only the updater. I'd rather have both. There are still some machines that I need to install from scratch, and it would be more convenient not to have to install, then update.

Can someone post a link to the page that has the full installer?

Thanks,

-Shawn

• 6. Re: 12.04 OSX Restart Required?
                    Stephen Huston

FMI usually keeps the Trial Software current, and it can be activated with the proper License Keys to make it the full version, even changing the trial FM Pro to FM Pro Advanced in some instances.

However this sometimes does not work with VLA license keys, in which case one can contact your VLA person at FileMaker and have them setup a download of the current full install for you. This is usually doable the same day, though things are sometimes slower right after an update is released.