5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 3:33 PM by rsheptak

Portal with Many to Many problem

rsheptak

I have a database with a many to many relationship between Phrases and Words using a mapping table that only has the ID field from each table. I set up a portal on the Phrases so the user can enter each of the words used in the phrase. Word contains a calculated field that jams together data from various fields in word into a string, and that's the value I actually want to display, so I created a value list that is comprised of dict_id field from word, and the display field, but is set to only show the display field. The portal field on the Phrases form has the dict_id field from the mapping table set as a drop down list. In Filemaker 11 I could superimpose an edit field on top of it and have that value displayed, rather than just the ID field for each record in the portal. In Filemaker 12v3 on MacOS that no longer appears to work. The first record in the portal displays the edit field result, but subsequent records added to the portal only display the ID.

Is there a Filemaker 12 approved way of accomplishing this? Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Portal with Many to Many problem
          flybynight

Are you positive that the edit field is actually "in" the portal? I've had issues with getting things to stay in the portal row. It seems that sometimes moving them can make them jump "out of" the portal and just be on top of it, which is why it only appears to be on the first row. Especially true if it is a tight fit between the field and the portal row.

I've also found it to be the case that if I move a field in a portal, and it's header label (which is right above the portal) together, then the field is out of the portal. Once I have it in the portal, I've had better luck just moving the field itself, then the label separately.

Hope that helps!

-Shawn

• 2. Re: Portal with Many to Many problem
            flybynight

…also: do you need to display the ID field? I think a lot of times, having the ID field there may be useful for developers, but is meaningless to the users. And then we try to come up with ways to hide it. Sometimes the best solution is just not displaying it on the layout in the first place. Of course, I don't know your layout and workflow, so it is possible that it is needed.

A pop-up menu with the value list set to only display a second value can also work to hide the ID from the user, but still actually be the fk entry value.

Laters,

-Shawn

• 3. Re: Portal with Many to Many problem
              rsheptak

Shawn, its certainly possible that its outside the portal, but it does not visually appear to be. I've destroyed and recreated the portal 3 times on that theory without luck.  I had no trouble getting it to work in FM 11 on the first try.  That makes me think its unlikely to be the problem, but I'll try it one more time...

• 4. Re: Portal with Many to Many problem
                rsheptak

I don't need to display the ID it all, as it is contained in my synthetic display string, but I don't know how to construct the portal without embedding the ID field from the mapping table in the portal.  Am I missing something?

• 5. Re: Portal with Many to Many problem
                  rsheptak

OK, I made an extra tall row in the portal and put the field over the popup list and it worked....thanks for suggesting I try it one more time.