7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 12:04 PM by sporobolus

Still development FMSA problem....

fmpros

I've setup the FMSA development version on my iMac (latest OS) and loaded my two development files by the book. Everything works fine. Then I use my Windows 8 PC in the living room (so I can watch movies and REALLY concentrate on programming) and log onto the server to continue working on the files. I can open the admin console remotely, access the files, open them, even make changes to the schema or layouts, scripts, etc. but when running scripts they fail with a message that the file can't be modified.

I've loaded the files on Windows and Mac and checked the properties, everything is Read/Write. All sharing is turned on properly. All account privileges are set properly... etc., etc.

But it still won't let me modify data. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

William

• 1. Re: Still development FMSA problem....
          BruceHerbach

William,

When you open the files from the PC in the living room:

Are using Open Remote in FileMaker and having it select the server on the iMac?

Are you using a full access account?

Bruce

• 2. Re: Still development FMSA problem....
            fmpros

Yes Bruce, opening with Open Remote and then the files hosted by the Mac.  Have made sure there's no other

available files anywhere on the network so I'm definitely opening the right ones.

William

• 3. Re: Still development FMSA problem....
              BruceHerbach

William,

I saw a similar problem on the forum recently,  but can't find it at the moment.  I think the issue was the permissions on the file or folder it was in before being uploaded to the server.  So check the following things.

First the permissions on the /Library/FileMaker Server folder and all subfolders:  Make sure they are set to fmserver Read & Write, fmsadmin Read & Write, everyone Read. 

In the FMS server folder structure:  the /Library/FileMaker Sever/Data/ and /Library/FileMaker Sever/Data/Databases folders also has my system login ID set to Read & Write.  I believe that this was done automaticly since this was the ID I used to install and do the initial file uploads.

Next when you upload the files to the server, make sure they are in a folder where you have Read & Write access and the files have Read & Write Access.  I believe that is was this last piece that helped in the other thread. 

Good luck

Bruce

• 4. Re: Still development FMSA problem....
                fmpros

Thanks Bruce.  I went through the entire folder structure and made sure everything was set to Read/Write.

The folders in /Library/FileMaker Server/..... had R/W for everyone except "everyone".  Set those to R/W.

Then created a new folder will all access and uploaded the files from there to Server. 

Now it seems it's letting me modify data.  Looks like that worked.  Thanks again.  So I assume this is

something I need to check and perform on any installation?

William

• 5. Re: Still development FMSA problem....
                  thomas_staehli

Did you use the admin console to put the files in the server environnement or did you just drop them in the right folder manually? In case you just moved them there, you can try the following:

- turn off filemaker server from the admin console,

- move the files out of the default folder (like on your desktop)

- turn filemaker server back on

- upload the files by using the admin console.

This always did it for me. Now, I've never tried with a windows 8 machine...

• 6. Re: Still development FMSA problem....
                    fmpros

Thanks Thomas, yes, did per best practices via the console.

I guess one just has to be diligent in checking all access to the files,

even outside of FMS.

William

• 7. Re: Still development FMSA problem....
                      sporobolus

on 2013-04-29 8:23 William OKeefe wrote

Thanks Bruce.  I went through the entire folder structure and made sure everything was set to Read/Write.

The folders in /Library/FileMaker Server/..... had R/W for everyone except "everyone".  Set those to R/W.

Then created a new folder will all access and uploaded the files from there to Server.

Now it seems it's letting me modify data.  Looks like that worked.  Thanks again.  So I assume this is

something I need to check and perform on any installation?

sounds like a user/group problem on the files

you shouldn't need to set the files to be R/W by everyone; they should have

user/group fmserver/fmsadmin, and both owner and group should have R/W/X permission