ChrisVanBuren

Sync Dev Environment - File References

Discussion created by ChrisVanBuren on May 2, 2013
Latest reply on May 2, 2013 by ChrisVanBuren

Hi,

Just trying to get my head straight on how to setup an effective development environment.

I am going to implement a sync type solution using the FileMaker Sync Guide as a template.

From this, the following seems clear:

-There should be a central hosted database "central hosted" which receives the sync'd data.

-There will be a deployed database "deployed" on the iOS device

-There needs to be a "connector" database which is downloaded each time from a container field in "central hosted". The purpose of this is explained in the guide and is to do with closing the connection to "central hosted". This is an important file and contains the main scripts for doing the actual sync.

That's fine for the deployed system.

That said, I need something related but different for actual development. I would also like to have the development environment be persistent (meaning I don't want to disassemble and reassemble it when I don't need it).

Right now I see this as:

-"Central" - This is easy - it is just hosted and that's it.

-"Deployed" - This is also easy - I leave a hosted database up for development purposes and hide in from Open Remote so no one but me opens it. The file references to Central are easy - just put in local (used during development) and network address (used during deployment). The file reference to connector is more complex though. If I make it local and network, the deployed database, while deployed, might access the wrong one... I can put the local ahead of the network which may solve the problem but still feels risky...

-"Connector" - This will run local during production but, for convenience sake, I would like it hosted during development. The reference to "Central" would then also be local and network and to "Deployed" just the same... I suppose I can leave this file local on my Mac ALL the time. This way it won't exist on the FM Server and so cannot be accidentally accessed by the "deployed" databases in use. HOWEVER, this makes testing it on pain as I need to upload it into the "Central" container field every time I want to do a test on the iOS device. That said, maybe that is the best choice...

So maybe I've just answered my own question.

Any thoughts? What we really need is a sample database to go along with the FileMaker Sync Guide. This would then have all these details worked out. Does this exist? I have had a look and can't seem to find it. I would have thought that such a file exists as Katherine Russell (who wrote the guide) must have created a database like this before writing the guide...

THANKS.

Best Regards

Chris Van Buren

---------------------------------------------------------

e: chris@zeropointdata.com

t: +44 (0)1291 689966

www.zeropointdata.com

Abbey Lodge, Tintern, CHEPSTOW, NP16 6SF, UK

---------------------------------------------------------

Outcomes