9 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 9:12 AM by LyndsayHowarth

IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?

usbc

While doing some testing this morning I can see that there are limits in IWP as to how many fields and how many records Copy All Records can capture.

I haven't found any specifications as to what they are. I do know that when using a desk top file or a served file I am not exceeding the limit but I am in IWP.

Does anyone know what the limits are ?

(FMP 11 Mac 10.6)

Thanks, Chuck

• 1. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
          Mike_Mitchell

Chuck -

Exactly what behavior are you seeing? I'm not aware of a specific limit on Copy All Records, but are you perhaps getting bitten by the 25-record limit on List View in IWP?

Mike

• 2. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
            usbc

Well I'm still looking at this. It is not exactly the 25 record limit in list view. But it has at least something to do with table view.

Under IWP, with a found count of 1700, in table view it will capture only 51 records. On the same layout in list view it will capture all 1700.

I haven't tested yet for how many fields "wide" it will capture or a practical maximun record count. The drill is to paste it into Excel or a text doc.

I don't want to use up a lot of the groups bandwidth ... I was just hoping somebody knew.

• 3. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
              Mike_Mitchell

There's a 50 record limit (per the docs) in Table View. Might have something to do with it.

• 4. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
                LyndsayHowarth

As Mike says... IWP has limits to how many records shown in a single view.

If you show the status area... the book should in table view show 51-100 or similar... the range of the records. Clicking on the left will take you to 1-49 and clicking on the right will take you to the next set of found records.

You say you then take the data and paste it into Excel? That seems very odd and there should be a much better way to do this. Why don't you script an export to Excel or CSV or a Text file so that your users can download and open it.

Are you running Server Advanced or using FileMaker Pro as host to the IWP? That will influence what I recommend.

- Lyndsay

Message was edited by: Lyndsay Howarth   *** assuming the number is 50. It was 25 for so many versions and I stopped paying attention.

• 5. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
                  LyndsayHowarth

You could have a global field which lists all records in a tab or comma separated format that they copy from...

you would have to calculate a record field then set the global field to List (related::record field)... you would get all the records in a single field.

- Lyndsay

• 6. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
                    usbc

Thanks Lyndsay,

"You say you then take the data and paste it into Excel? That seems very odd and there should be a much better way to do this. Why don't you script an export to Excel or CSV or a Text file so that your users can download and open it...."

True, there should be a better way. (Export from IWP) I don't suspect you deal with IWP much - me either.

In this particular case, there is a single employee that has a specific need and from time to time I come across small needs like this. They don't warrant a full blown / system wide process. Just need to get some data out.

The copy all records works fine to get data out via the clipboard. You may have noticed my various posts over the years declaring the clipboard as a dark and scary place. Still ...

So I was hoping that someone already knew the limits ... just being lazy I guess.

Thanks, Chuck

• 7. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
                      LyndsayHowarth

Hi Chuck,

On the contrary, I have had a lot to do with IWP and I know how to work around it's inadequacies. There is an excellent plugin from 360Works called "Remote Scripter" which deals with most of these.

Contact me privately and I can show you a system which:

Saves both a PDF and an Excel document from a report then generates a link for the IWP user so they can just download it as well as generates/sends emails with the documents as attachements.

It is a financial system with plenty of numbers and sorting and my client paid big bucks to have me spend the extra time optimising it for iWP .... I simply couldn't convince them that server was a better option.

- Lyndsay

Message was edited by: Lyndsay Howarth to correct a typo in your name... sorry

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
                        usbc

Thanks Lyndsay,

I guess I was wrong when I suspected that you worked mostly in custom web publishing because of your expertise.

I will in fact contact you back-channel when I get back to civilization.

Chuck

• 9. Re: IWP: Copy All Records Limitations ?
                          LyndsayHowarth

I really just love a challenge, Chuck! I am a problem solver ;-)

I've done the web-thing since '93... but I have always done database interfaces too. There is not much I havent' turned my hand to. Yes, the web stuff is my specialty but I love the whole creative process. I've been having fun with FM Go lately which has web interfaces integrated inside the FM framework.

In my previous life (career) I became an expert in aberrant and challenging behaviour in intellectually disabled adolescents. I had toddlers when I gave it up 'cause things at home stopped being so cute.

I'll have to go toss some mail so you can contact me... but I am also on Linked In and G+ if a message fails.

- Lyndsay