AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is it possible to automatically create a new field?

Question asked by BillisSaved on May 3, 2013
Latest reply on May 7, 2013 by Stephen Huston

Hi, my name is Bill and I used to use Access.

I'm beginning development of my first database in FileMaker Pro 12, so this is probably a very basic question. Here's what I've done so far... I've create a table (Required Training) which contains 26 possible training courses. I've created a second table (Job Titles) which will contain records for specific job titles and their associated training. I've added a drop-down list to the Job Titles table which displays all of the training courses contained in the Required Training table.

Now here's where I'm stuck...Each job title, as you may have guessed, has a unique combination of training requirements. When I'm creating a new record for the Job Titles table (typically in form view), I need to enter between 1 and 26 required training courses. Is there a way to have FileMaker Pro 12 automatically create an additional field for entering required training each time I select one from the drop-down list? In other words, I would like the Job Title form to always display one blank field for an additional required training entry, regardless of how many total existing entries there are. For example, if I create a record for a job which requires 3 training courses, the form would display three fields containing those entries and one blank field. Now let's say there is a new training course added to the requirements for this job title, I would like to be able to return to that record, enter the new course and have a new blank field available (i.e. 4 completed fields and 1 new blank field).

I hope my description make sense. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you offer. Have a great day!

God bless,

Bill

Outcomes