4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2013 2:34 PM by DEC

How to optimize a GUI with Jpegs for both Mac and PC?

DEC

Hi Everybody,

I developed a solution for a mixed Mac/Windows network, and have encountered an interesting problem.

I designed the solution so that it fits neatly within the borders of a 13" Apple Airbook laptop, the default native resolution of which is 1440 x 980.

I've found that two users are unable to view the entire GUI on their monitors. The effect is as if they're operating at a low resolution (i.e., the GUI has ballooned in size and they have to scroll up and down to access its controls), but I checked their monitors, and they're set at 1440 x 980. The monitors are older Viewsonic models (that coincidently show a really horrible and washed out image, besides).

The Apple computers in the office can view the entire GUI just fine; haven't had an opportunity to examine the few Windows users who have larger and better quality monitors, but I opened the database remotely from a Windows machine with a decent monitor and it looks great.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Also, where you're designing a database for a mixed platform environment where some of the users are using ancient and crappy monitors, what do you do, other than advise them to upgrade their monitors?

Lastly, what's a good policy with respect to GUI dimensions where your GUI is largely comprised of custom jpeg images? I often wonder what the result will be when computer resolution starts to get really intense... I imagine the GUIs will grow smaller in size when users upgrade to monitors with extremely high res settings...

Thanks in advance!

J

• 1. Re: How to optimize a GUI with Jpegs for both Mac and PC?
          taylorsharpe

If you use the anchors, you can have the size and locations of the fields adjust according to the size of the monitor. 

• 2. Re: How to optimize a GUI with Jpegs for both Mac and PC?
            deninger

You probable already checked this, but occasionally I find users that are liking at layouts at view values >100%, making if look like the interface doesn't fit.

• 3. Re: How to optimize a GUI with Jpegs for both Mac and PC?
              Steve Wright

I've found that two users are unable to view the entire GUI on their monitors.  The effect is as if they're operating at a low resolution (i.e., the GUI has ballooned in size and they have to scroll up and down to access its controls), but I checked their monitors, and they're set at 1440 x 980.  The monitors are older Viewsonic models (that coincidently show a really horrible and washed out image, besides).

If the issue is on Windows machines, you may want to check the following:

Edit > Preferences

Ensure that "Enlarge window contents to improve readability" is disabled

Also, on Windows again (7 anyway) if you right click the desktop and choose Personalize, then Display in the lower left, you are able to change the scaling used from 100% to 125/150% which may be the issue.

Im unsure if there are similar settings on the mac, being primarily a windows user myself.

• 4. Re: How to optimize a GUI with Jpegs for both Mac and PC?
                DEC

I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to response... helpful thoughts, all...

It's thankfully not a matter of the users zooming the layouts; I checked that myself first thing.  And to make sure it doesn't become an issue in the future, I added a sniffer function on the "Open" script which first resize's the window to fit the layout, then "sniffs" the user's OS; if it comes up Windows, it'll unzoom to 75% and lock the magnification so that the user can't change it.  I had to go with this 75% for the Window's users because I can't for the life of me determine why I can't see the entire layout notwithstanding the fact that their resolution setting match those of the Apple users.

I only wish that Filemaker offered 10% increments with respect to the "Adjust Window" script command (as opposed to the 25% increments), but having the option at all is a sheer blessing, as I otherwise would've had to set up a low res and hi res version of each layout.

I'll check Steve's preference setting mentioned above, and with respect to future solutions, I'll look into doing dual versions layouts for hi and lo res using anchors as Taylor prescribed.

Thanks again...

J