9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 10:16 PM by WayneMuelver

Backup schedule fails

WayneMuelver

I am running FMS Advanced on Mac OS 10.8. I am using a raid 5 for backups connected to the mac with Firewire. My backup schedule is set to run every evening at 11:00 PM. Each time the backup schedule runs I get three error messages and the backup does not run. The error message codes are different but they all say that the path is invalad.

However, when I run the schedule manually from the Server Admin Console it works fine every time. Also, where you set the path for backup, I have tried the button that says validate path, and it always comes back as valid.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Backup schedule fails
          wimdecorte

Could it be that the attached drives go to sleep after a certain time?  That would explain why it works when you do it yourself, assuming tha the disks spool up because of your user activity.

Also: is the drive properly mounted when the backup schedule runs?  If your server runs with noboby logged on, the drive may not be mounted...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Backup schedule fails
            WayneMuelver

I tested the theory, and yes. If I leave the user account logged in the backup schedule does run successfully. So, now the question is what to do about this. Filemaker recomends that the user account be logged out so that FMS has access to as much of the system resources as possible. So, how can I keep a storage RAID available while the user account is logged out?

In the mean time I have set a screen saver on the Mac to require a password to unlock the screen. There has to be a better way to accomplish this though.

• 3. Re: Backup schedule fails
              sporobolus

on 2013-05-09 13:23 WayneMuelver wrote

I tested the theory, and yes. If I leave the user account logged in the backup schedule does run successfully. So, now the question is what to do about this. Filemaker recomends that the user account be logged out so that FMS has access to as much of the system resources as possible. So, how can I keep a storage RAID available while the user account is logged out?

if it is a drive sleep issue, i would look for a firmware control to changes

this on the drive, especially since it's a RAID and this would be a common

issue; if not via firmware, then you could have the fmserver session

periodically "touch" the drive via a launch agent; here's an example:

<http://codeworkshop.net/posts/prevent-drobo-spin-down-on-os-x>

(note that the launchagent would have to be set up for fmserver, otherwise use

a launchdeamon as noted in the below link)

also, i seem to recall that the OS X (non-server) may not mount external drives

until there is a GUI login session; if that's the case you can have a launchd

script mount the drives at boot, regardless of login; see the answer to this

question:

<http://superuser.com/questions/486415/how-to-reliably-mount-a-shared-folder-volume-folder-at-boot-up>

OS X Server would probably obviate the problem

• 4. Re: Backup schedule fails
                wimdecorte

You can have FMS schedule a shell script to mount the external storage prior to a backup I guess.  Check with the manufacturer though to see if they have any info on how you can keep the storage working with no user attached.  Is this USB?

Or you can change your backup to use the local hard disk so that you'll be sure you always have a good backup, and then use a shell script to mount the external storage and copy the backup over.

• 5. Re: Backup schedule fails
                  WayneMuelver

It is a leased unit from the data center where our Mac Mini is housed.

It connects to the Mini over FireWire 800.

• 6. Re: Backup schedule fails
                    wimdecorte

That makes it easy: insist that you're paying for server-class service and that means having drives available for typical server-class activities.

• 7. Re: Backup schedule fails
                      WayneMuelver

I submitted a support ticket to our data center help desk. They have

just replied and provided a terminal command that they suggest should

resolve the issue. They said there is a preference in OSX to

auto-mount disks regardless of user login, and the Terminal command

sets the preference to "true". I am going to try this and see if it

works for tonight's backup. I'll post the command and results of this

test tomorrow.

• 8. Re: Backup schedule fails
                        sporobolus

on 2013-05-09 18:05 WayneMuelver wrote

They said there is a preference in OSX to

auto-mount disks regardless of user login, and the Terminal command

sets the preference to "true". I am going to try this and see if it

works for tonight's backup. I'll post the command and results of this

test tomorrow.

it sounds like they think it is the second possibility i wrote about, and their

solution is

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/\
                        autodiskmount AutomountDisksWithoutUserLogin -bool true

interested to know if it works; in my research for my previous answer i came

across mixed reports on that, which is why i recommended a launch agent approach

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Backup schedule fails
                          WayneMuelver

Ok, I got distracted with other stuff for a while. Ok, ok. A long while. Anyhow. Yes, that was the issue, although the exact terminal command that I used was a few characters different than what you found. I am a novice when it comes to Terminal though, so I don't know if the difference is significant or not. See below for the exact terminal command that I used. This resolved my issue completely. With regard to the previous comment about OSX Server vs regular OSX... I don't believe that is an issue. Since OS 10.7, Apple's Server OS is merged directly into the normal OS. That is why making any Mac into a server only requires installing the server App and not a replacement of the OS. What you are installing is not the server itself, you are just installing an interface for the underlying server that is already there. This is why standard OS 10.7 and newer systems now support remote login to multiple user accounts simultaneously right out of the box without adding the server app. The full server functionality is already there. The interface just makes it easier to configure certain commonly used settings. The exact terminal command I used to allow disks to mount without a user logged in and to resolve the issue was..

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount AutomountDisksWithoutUserLogin -bool YES

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help everyone!