8 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2013 10:39 AM by mikebeargie

Filemaker with gmail integrate

gopi87

Hi

I am use in filemaker pro 11.I know how to send the email. but how to get the email them.Email receveing in filemaker without plugin.is ti possible?

Thanks

Gopi

• 1. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
          jormond

Possible, yes.  Easy, no.

You would need to make calls to Gmail's API.  And I'm not entirely sure you can do that successfully without the use of a plug-in, or a web server to fire off the calls for you.

• 2. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
            mikebeargie

I also agree that without a plugin, it's not easy. Google uses 0Auth to authenticate, which will be the hardest part to setup.

Theoretically, you could set up a site on a webserver that reads out new messages from gmail as XML or JSON, then use the web scraping method to pull this list and parse it out via the webviewer. This requires a pretty robust web coding script, as well as web hosting to accomplish it.

If you want to reconsider a plugin, 360work's email plugin is very easy to integrate. We were able to have full IMAP control and sync with a local filemaker database in under an hour in the past.

• 3. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
              manjit

Yes, you can do that without any plugin but that will take little more time. What you will need is to configure an Inbox in your Filemaker application file and you need to provide all parameters like SMTP and POP server details and email's credentials. Then to download emails you need to trigger some timer script trigger to check and download new emails from server or you can put a refresh button to run the trigger script for the same. We have done this type of settings for one of our client.

Regards,
              Software Developer, Mindfire Solutions, India
              http://www.mindfiresolutions.com  
              email:manjitb@mindfiresolutions.com
              FileMaker11 Certified Developer

• 4. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
                mikebeargie

Can you explain in more detail on how you're natively reading emails from gmail in Filemaker? There's no built-in client to read email messages, just to send. Interested in hearing how you did this if you're saying you've done it before.

Then to download emails you need to trigger some timer script trigger to check and download new emails from server or you can put a refresh button to run the trigger script for the same. We have done this type of settings for one of our client.

• 5. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
                  timwhisenant

As you can see from the previous replies, this can be accomplished. But it is not for the faint of heart, so if you are committed to the task here is a resource that might help.

http://www.supportgroup.com/explore/devcon-webinar-filemaker-and-google-apps/

Good luck,

Tim

• 6. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
                    mikebeargie

That example uses a plugin, to be precise, a custom plugin compiled from 360works ScriptMaster.

I guess it's *theoretically* possible to use the webviewer to make/handle HTTP requests as noted in the article, but that article also states "if you decide to use a different plug-in for HTTP requests,"

• 7. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
                      timwhisenant

Hi Mike,

Yes, you are right. However, it is a free plug-in and the code is already written for the basic functionality. I used to avoid plug-ins until I started to use them. The point is that most of the fears of plug-ins are really just that, fear, not reality. So why would one use a shovel to dig a trench, when a back-hoe is standing by to do the job in a fraction of the time?? Both tools are up to the job, but one makes the best use of time.

My 2cents,

Tim

• 8. Re: Filemaker with gmail integrate
                        mikebeargie

With the ability to distribute plug-ins efficiently, I agree.