12 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 10:39 AM by c7c4c7

Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow

c7c4c7

Client machine runniing Windows 7 Pro, all updates applied to client machine, no updates available for Filemaker.

When we open the machine in the morning the machine is extremely slow to open filemaker, about 3-5 minutes. Once it is open then it responds normally.

Also when we try to print appointments for the following day, it is extremely slow. Once we do it for the first time all other times work as expected.

The network connection is gigabit, no other machines connected to the server have a similar problem

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow

any plugins to load? Try turning off all the plugins and see results.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
            BobGossom

Hi,

This happend to me on an XP machine. De-installing/Re-installing FMP took care of it. If that doesn't work, make sure this client is on the right network subnet.

HTH

Bob Gossom

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
              Stephen Huston

Check the External Data References in your files to be sure that specific paths are listed, rather than network searches (although this would probably affect numerous users).

If that isn't it, can you provide any details of how this specific machine is connecting differently? For instance, are they using a wireless connection rather than Ethernet? I've seen laptops used in-office and remotely default to the wireless connection even when the cable is plugged it if the user leaves the wireless on. That can cause this kind of delay.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                c7c4c7

The network is fine, I will try install tomorrow

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                  c7c4c7

The machine is a new desktop Win7 sp1 64 bit machine with 4 gig of memory, a dual core 2.8 ghz processor with a 1 gigabit network card.  There is no wireless card installed.

This is a small shop with only 4 machines.  2 run XP, 2 run Win 7.  The Server is a SBS 2003. 

I installed a new network card to see if it made a difference but no. 

There are 2 cables installed at the cube and we have tried both, no difference

All of the machines go to the same switch and the same router.  We changed ports on thw switch, no joy.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                    wsvp

One item it would help to confirm is, when you say it is slow opening FileMaker, do you mean the FileMaker application by itself?  If it is just the application it should have nothing to do with the network or your file.  3-5 minutes to open FileMaker is beyond ridiculous, so something is not right.  Here are a few things to check...

1. Active virus scanning can bring many operations to a crawl.

2. Also there could be a problem with the hard drive this could cause the CPU to boot slow.

3. Improper installation of FMP.

4. Defective RAM, this could cause the computer to boot slow also.

5. Extreme Fragmentation, not likely on a new computer though.

6. Auto-updates if running can really slow down a system.

Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                      debi

c7c4c7,

This sounds like what I call FileMaker's "first find" syndrome, where the first find for a session is very slow and subsequent ones are faster, due to initial indexing -- though I'd expect that to be the case for everyone.

Doe the start-up and calendar routines perform Finds? Are there search steps that are user-dependent? Can you run this with debugger to see which steps are the slowest?

Debi Rubel
                      FullCity Consulting

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                        jkrichton

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Bonjour?

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                          c7c4c7

1. Active virus scanning can bring many operations to a crawl.

I'll check this but CPU occupancy is very low during all of this

2. Also there could be a problem with the hard drive this could cause the CPU to boot slow.

Smart Test shows no Problems

3. Improper installation of FMP.

Going to reinstall today

4. Defective RAM, this could cause the computer to boot slow also.

Burnin test shows no problem with memory of hard drive

5. Extreme Fragmentation, not likely on a new computer though.

I'll check but on a new machine I would doubt it

6. Auto-updates if running can really slow down a system.

Again CPU occupancy very low

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                            c7c4c7

No, why would that affect startup

• 12. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 extremely slow
                              c7c4c7

Here is an update that I stumbled upon this morning.  When I launch Filemaker and it hangs if I open Internet Explorer or refresh an opened page Filemaker pops open.  The same thing happens if I perform the same action if a query is taking too long.

I have no idea why that works