13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 3:56 PM by Ward

Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12

BillCollins

Cannot make a bound runtime solution on Mac OS X 10.8.3 using FileMaker 12.0v4

Tried on various FMP12 databases, including very simple database made from scratch for the purpose.

Have no trouble making bound runtime solutions on Windows XP, but it fails on Mac OS X.

Did several things:

-Shut down the computer and start over

-Remove FileMaker Adv 12, reinstall

-Make a new user on the computer

Always get the same result:

Error message "File is locked or in use" during the process

Then when I try to open the bound solution, message <<The primary file "Debug" cannot be found and is required for this application."

The file being bound certainly was not locked or in use during the process.

What gives? Any idea?

• 1. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
          jml

Bill,

It's a little unclear from your description.  Did you create the runtime on the Mac computer?

If yes, was an FMP Advanced copy with the same license on the Windows computer running on the same network when you created the runtime on the Mac?

• 2. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
            BillCollins

I created the database on the Mac.

I was not able to create the runtime on the Mac.

I was able to create the runtime on a Windows XP computer.

Bill Collins

(803) 642-9651

c 803-522-6101

bbcollins@earthlink.net

• 3. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
              jml

Thanks for the clarification.

Was your FileMaker Pro Advanced copy on the Windows XP computer open at the same time when you were trying to create the runtime on the Mac?

• 4. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                Stephen Huston

Another itdea: Do you have FMServer12 installed on that Mac? If so, the files are probably open by the server in the background as soon as you start up the OS, so the FM Service needs to be shut down on that computer before using the developer tool to create a runtime.

• 5. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                  BillCollins

No. I tried after restarting the Mac, and Windows was not running. Bindig on the Mac did not work.

Also tried it on an older mac that does not have Windows installed, and it did not work. That older Mac is running Mac OS X 10.7.5, so apparently the difficulty is not with my main Mac or specifically limited to Mountain Lion. It is also a problem in Lion.

• 6. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                    BillCollins

No. I have a developer copy of FM Server 12, but it is not installed, and I have verified it is not running.

Also tried to make a bound solution on an older mac running 10.7.5, and that did not work either. The older Mac does not have FM Server installed.

• 7. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                      BillCollins

Update of my diagnostic efforts:

Can make a bound runtime solution of a fmp12 database on Windows XP, no problem.

Can not make bound runtime of fmp12 database using FMA 12 on Mac OS X 10.8 or on different computer running Mac OS X 10.7

Can not make bound runtime of fp7 database using FMA 11 on Mac OS X 10.8

CAN make a bound runtime solution of fp7 database using FMA 10 on Mac OS X 10.8

So the problem applies to FMA 12 and FMA 11, but not to FMA 10

Have updated to latest version of FMA 12 and Mac OS X 10.8.

Have updated to latest version of Java.

Have verified that no version of FM Server is installed on my computer.

Have verified that Windows is not running when I try to create the Mac runtime.

Have repaired permissions using disk utility.

Have tried using different users on the Mac.

Same result every time I try to make a bound runtime using FMA 12 or FMA 11:

-Error message during process <<File is locked or in use>>

-Error message on trying to launch runtime after process complete:

-If try to launch .fmpur file, <<The primary file "Debug" cannot be found and is required for this application>>    

-If try to launch the file that is probably the runtime application, find it has a circle bar sign over it, and get message <<You can't open the application [x] because it may be damaged or incomplete>>

I have run of ideas. I thank those who have offered suggestions regarding FM Server running and Windows running, but I have checked those out and verified they do not apply.

Other ideas?

• 8. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                        ch0c0halic

A quick look at the FMI Knowledge base produced this article for "runtime" and limited to FMA 12.

Answer ID: 7668

Products:

FileMaker Pro Advanced

12.x

11.x

Can't generate a runtime when logged in as a Standard user on Mac OSX

Why do I get the message "this file is locked or in use" when creating a runtime?

ISSUE:

The target FileMaker file is closed.  When attempting to create a runtime from the closed file, the message "This file is locked or in use" appears or an incomplete runtime is created.

RESOLUTION:

This issue occurs if the user attempting to create the runtime is currently logged into the Mac machine with a Standard user account.  Log out of that account and into an Admin user account to create a runtime on the target FileMaker file.

• 9. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                          BillCollins

Right! Must be logged in to an Admin user on Mac OS X to create a runtime solution using FMA 12 or FMA 11.

I submitted a request to FileMaker Tech Support, got a response telling me to call, which I did. The support person told me this and I walked through it OK in the Admin account.

I had searched for knowledge base articles before, but apparently did not use a good search term.

Anyway, it is resolved.

Thanks to all who responded!

• 10. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                            robrickard

I too am having the same problem when trying to make a simple runtime solution - but i am logged in as an admin account on the Mac computer. I scoured the internet and can not figure it out. There is no security on the file and it is not running. Permissions seem to be ok on the file.

FM12 solution.

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 12.20.55 PM.png

• 11. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                              robrickard

...I too am having the same problem when trying to make a simple runtime solution - but i am logged in as an admin account on the Mac computer. I scoured the internet and can not figure it out. There is no security on the file and it is not running. Permissions seem to be ok on the file.

FM12 solution.

could it be that its not stuck on the FM File, but on this info.plist?

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 12.41.28 PM.png

• 12. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                                robrickard

I figured it out..

It was the wrong permission on that file (info.plist). I navigated into the FM Pro Advanced folder and then to the runtime contents /Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/FMI Runtime Resources/Internal Runtime Libraries/Runtime.app/Contents

I opened the package of the runtime.app and changed the permission of contents folder (making sure to apply it to all the contents) to show read/write to the admin user.

All worked after that - no more errors.

• 13. Re: Trouble making bound solution Mac OS X & FMA12
                                  Ward

Thanks, robrickard!

When I reverted to FIleMaker Pro 12 Advanced to rebuild an old solution, I encountered the Info.plist "locked" problem.  Your pointer for patching the Runtime package did the trick.  All it took was giving the "admin" group Read/Write privileges on the Info.plist file.

-- Ward