3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 9:00 AM by steve_ssh

Dropdown lists not always working in IWP?

tony.dhoop@telenet.be

I have encountered a very strange situation where functinoality doesn't work in IWP.

Let me explain:

table "warranty"

table "complaintcodes"

Within the layout of table "warranty", I made a dropdown list with values defined from "warranty_COMPLAINTCODES".

This relation is defined by "warranty::_kp_language = complaincodes::_kf_language".

Since I don't want to show ALL Values, I only want to show the values which are

"include only related values started from :", where I selected "warranty"

See attached pic "fields for value list".

This limits the choice in the dropdown list from all values to only the values that are in the current language.

This works fine in Filemaker Adv 12.

HOWEVER, when trying this in IWP, the value list shows blank???

When taking the option "Include all values", it works fine in IWP.

See attached pic "IWP vs FMP".

So one would think that the option to limit the value lists (option "include only related values started from") does not work in IWP.

However, this is not true. I have used this option already in IWP solutions...

This is puzzling me !!!

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts and possible solutions.

thanks!

Tony

PS : maybe usefull info : I have split set the solution up in the seperation model / one file only containing data, the second file containing the code and interface.

• 1. Re: Dropdown lists not always working in IWP?
          steve_ssh

Hello Tony,

Have you verified that, in the context of the IWP solution, field   warranty::_kp_language   is populated with a valid value?

In your comparison pic, I note that the field labeled "LanguageForAnswer" is populated in the native FM client image, and yet it does not appear to be populated with an expected value in the IWP image.

This suggests to me that there is some kind of difference going on in your data sets, perhaps specifically related to language selection.

This is especially eye-catching because it suggest to me that maybe   warranty::_kp_language  is not populated as expected, which would lead to your relationship for the value list breaking, and hence the value list yielding no values.

Hope this helps and best,

-steve

Edit:  Just to be clear:  warranty::_kp_language will need to be already populated before the user receives the IWP page in their browser, in order for the value list to be populated when the page loads in their browser.

• 2. Re: Dropdown lists not always working in IWP?
            tony.dhoop@telenet.be

God, Steve... you're so right, and I should have noticed this myself...
            by having my Filemaker showing record 2013-19-0027 and the IWP showing record 2013-19-0028

felling kinda silly now / but thanks a million for your help !!!

The probably cause : this sometimes happend that by (unintentionally) touching the mouse scroll, the record jumps to the next/previous record...

I've had users also experiencing this : they work in record 1, then are distracted, and unintentionllly touch the scroll, and when getting back to their work, they are now on record 2, thinking they still make changes in record 1...

is there a way to de-activate this scrolling in FM ?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Dropdown lists not always working in IWP?
              steve_ssh

Hi Tony,

This is the joy of having an extra set of eyes.  In my own experience I often overlook something simple and go delving into some complexity until someone else refreshes my view.

As for the scroll wheel question:  I've seen various posts about this, but I don't have personal experience with it.  If I recall correctly, other developers have said that hiding and locking the status area has an effect on the behavior of scrolling the records.

I think that if you do a search on this forum for "scroll" or "scroll records" you will probably find the information you are looking for regarding this.

Good luck!

-steve