1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2013 9:39 AM by disabled_pluus

Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.

Okay, I'm new to FileMaker and my head is pretty much messed up with understanding the concept of FileMaker.

My client loves this software and wants to use it for his business website - just because his friend is using it.

He has no local server but a web hosting server only. He knows what MySQL is and what this is for but strongly

wanna go with FileMaker cuz he is worried about web hosting company's server down issues.

Literally, I've got tons of questions to ask after digging into this File Maker thing for hours..... D: and here are some of big ones...

(Let's assume we never talk about FileMaker Server here. Since he has no local server, that's just out of scope for my project.)

1. As far as I know, FileMaker Pro is a DBMS software, not a DB Server. Is that correct?

2. Can DB created by FileMaker Pro installed on the web hosting server? What are the options for installing it?

ex) integrating it with MySQL / using dbf file / etc...

3. Can DB created by FileMaker Pro syncronized with MySQL DB on a webhosting company's server?

4. Can DB created by FileMaker Pro remotely controlled and syncronized by FileMaker?

5. Can PHP access to DB file created by FileMaker Pro?

6. Say you're a web developer and you have to build a website using DB done by FileMaker and avoid MySQL server.

How will you approach to this with FileMaker Pro? I'm so confused and need some guidance to launch off this project :S

• 1. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
          BruceHerbach

Hi,

1. As far as I know, FileMaker Pro is a DBMS software, not a DB Server. Is that correct?

-->FileMaker Pro is the User's application.  There is also a FIleMaker server that can be used as a Host.  FileMaker server can conect with PHP, XML, SQL and ODBC depending on the version.

2. Can DB created by FileMaker Pro installed on the web hosting server?  What are the options for installing it?

ex) integrating it with MySQL / using dbf file / etc...

-->Like MySQL you can use a PHP interface to pull and push data into the database.

3. Can DB created by FileMaker Pro syncronized with MySQL DB on a webhosting company's server?

-->Yes.  There are a number of ways to do this.

4. Can DB created by FileMaker Pro remotely controlled and syncronized by FileMaker?

--> Really don't understand the question.  A data base may be hosted by FileMaker server and FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced can be the client.  Giving the user access to the database

5. Can PHP access to DB file created by FileMaker Pro?

--> Yes.  File should be hosted on FileMaker server

6. Say you're a web developer and you have to build a website using DB done by FileMaker and avoid MySQL server.

How will you approach to this with FileMaker Pro?  I'm so confused and need some guidance to launch off this project :S

--> You might consider contacting a FileMaker developer.  It sounds like you have a fairly advanced level project, requireing the development of the Database and the Web front end.

HTH

• 2. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.

I see...

I guess it's the FileMaker server ($999) that does advanced level of hosting service... I will convince my client to go with other servers; it seems like FileMaker is not appropriate one for this project   Thank you Bruce!!

• 3. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
              Norsult

Hi,

you got a positive answer to most of your questions, what is the point? In fact what you ask is how much does it cost. And yes, a professionally developed, supported system costs. (Btw. that is true Oracle and MySQL aswell).

Off course you can run a web project against the FileMaker DBMS. Use PHP as your interface language and you're done. All else in this case is quite like with MySQL or other DBMS, seen from  the outside.

FileMaker as a concept is much more, too much to be explained here.

But ask your customer why he is so fascinated, just when his friend is making appearantly successful use of it.

Just because I do not know enough about a product does not mean it must be bad. Paerhaps I (or in this case you) are not the appropriate partner for the customer.

I wouls suggest to follow Bruce' advice to ask a serious FileMaker developer for assistance. They will tell you about the pros and cons and also turn down project that are not the FileMaker size.

Just my humble opinion.

regards

Volker

• 4. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
                BruceHerbach

Actually FileMaker may very well be great choice for the project.  It will require the expertise to create the database and connect it to the Web server and other database system.  There are many qualified developers on this site that will be happy to answer questions.  You can go the FileMaker web site http://developer.filemaker.com/search/ to look for a developer near you if you need one.

Best of luck with your project.

• 5. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.

When my client was talking about it, he seems to mean 'pro' version, not server - I assume this from what he mentioned: "I heard it costs only $300. It's very cheap.".  I also went through several webpages explaning all the pros and cons and think still it's good to go with more well-known ones that the client will find appropriate developers easier. 

But thank you for your reply

• 6. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.

What do you think about its flexibility and learning curve? The client is quite concerned about difficulty of maintaining the whole system and training new employees or developers.

• 7. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
                      BillMiller

Hi

Flexibility and a relatively short learning curve is where FileMaker shines.

Best of luck to you.

• 8. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
                        BruceHerbach

FileMaker is incredibly flexible.  Users learning time can be greatly reduced by using consistent methods when creating the user interface.   If things are done well a couple of hours or less in how to use the database and the staff should be off and running.

Training a developer is another story.  I started with FileMaker and created the first version of a Database for a charter school in 3 weeks.  Then spent a fair amount of time learning things like interface design,  best practices for scripts,  relationships, calculations... etc.  Several months later,  I created Version 2.0 for the client.  I have to say that they loved both versions, however version 2 was a great step forward and was a much better product then version 1.

So that stated,  I brought years of programming experience to Version 1.  Admittedly most of that was programming in archaic programming languages like, C, Pascal, Fortran and Assembler and the knowledge gained from taking quite a few courses in Computer Science along the way.   Since that first FileMaker project I have developed a number of database systems for clients and taken the Certification exams.  However while my clients paid for my time when developing their databases,  they didn't directly pay for my trips to Devcon,  FileMaker training series volumes, books on FileMaker or other FileMaker courses I have taken.  They have benefited from what I learned. 

If your client is planning on having a developer on staff then training that person may in fact be part of his responsibility.  If he is hiring a consultant to do the development and maintenance,  then the training is part of what it takes to become a FileMaker developer.

• 9. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.

Thank you for sharing your amazing story

If my client is not scared of the price that server version costs,

I will gladly go with FileMaker for this project as he wishes

• 10. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
                            ibrahim_bittar

I don't know you but it looks like you're an experienced developer so it's just a matter of porting concepts.

Here are a few sources that can be helpful to shorten your learning experience:

http://database-management-systems.findthebest.com/compare/12-30/FileMaker-vs-MySQL

http://www.rcconsulting.com/PDF/fm_access_comparison.pdf

• 11. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.

Thank you, ibrahim_bittar!

I don't think I'm a professional developer but sure have some experiences with dealing with DB design, server handling, and web & app developments.

The sources that you provided will greatly come in handy!! Thank you ;D

• 12. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
                                mikebeargie

I agree with Bruce that there are hundreds of consultants worldwide that would be happy helping in both the creation of and maintenance of your solution.

Elance.com is another good resource to find/hire filemaker consultants. They handle project bidding, and payments through escrow as well so you don't need to worry about ripoffs (not like any of us would do that!).

• 13. Re: Urrrgggg !! All messed up with the concept of FileMaker.
                                  DavidJondreau

Just for clarity, FileMaker Pro IS a database server. You can connect up to 9 users to a database hosted by FM Pro. You can also publish to the web using Instant Web Publishing (which is very kludgey, and subject to the 9 user limitation). But you can't connect directly to a Pro-hosted database via PHP.

Also, you don't need to buy Server yourself. There are several hosting companies out there that will host the database for you. Simple one-file solutions that don't require PHP access might cost you as little as $10 a month.

1 2 Previous Next