2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 1:52 PM by SkeletonKey

Developers: Where Do You Keep Your Tools?

SkeletonKey

http://www.skeletonkey.com/images/Blog/ToolBox3.jpg

I think every developer should create their own toolbox of code snippets to reuse as needed. There are many good reasons to develop a toolbox and start reusing code. There has already been a lot written about the benefits of reusing and even sharing code (here , here, here, and here). Instead of rehashing the reasons why this is a good idea, I'm going to show you some options for getting started. Over the years I've seen people attempt to make a "starter file", or some people have tried to sell a toolbox/framework of sorts to the developer community. Typically, the problem with these approaches is that they either offer a lot more or a lot less than what you need. I've seen systems/frameworks that look to be amazing and incredibly well-thought out, but often these systems just don't fit the way I program. So, in addition to learning FileMaker (yes we are all still learning), I also have to learn their method and their process. So, what do I mean by "creating your own toolbox"? I'm so glad you asked! (I love how when blogging I can make you ask whatever I want) I'm going to show you some ideas and help get you started creating your own toolbox:

Read more...