14 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 3:35 PM by databuzz

Server Installation error

RogerAC

Hi

I am trying to install filemaker server and I get an error message which I have copied below.

I used to have filemaker server on a while ago but uninstalled it and now I want to install again.

I have downloaded the latest version but during the process it falls over.

I cannot find any files or folders relating to filemaker server so perhaps there are some that are hidden so could someone please advise me on what to do.

Thanks in advance

Playbyte

error.jpg

• 1. Re: Server Installation error
          mikebeargie

I know with other programs I fixed this issue by digging around in the HDD/Library/ folder until I found related program files, and deleting those before reinstallation.

There's gotta be something leftover on your system from Filemaker that needs to be removed before you can install again.

Unfortunately, uninstaller files rarely uninstall completely. On Windows we use a program called Revo Uninstaller to completely wipe program traces out after "uninstall".

• 2. Re: Server Installation error
            RogerAC

Thank you Mike this solved the problem.

For thos following this thread I would add that you need to restart the computer before you try to install the filemaker server again.

Playbyte

• 3. Re: Server Installation error
              RogerAC

Ok things are still not right with the server.

I have an Apple MacBook and I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows, or can point me to, a list of all the files that Filemaker Server installs so that I can track down all of them.

The error Im getting now is that Filemaker Server is unable to make a Used ID.

I want to remove all traces of previous installations and start over.

Is there a way of using Terminal to remove all files and clean up the mess?

If anyone can help or advise I would be very grateful.

Playbyte

• 4. Re: Server Installation error
                sporobolus

on 2013-05-27 7:56 playbyte wrote

I have an Apple MacBook and I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows, or can point me to, a list of all the files that Filemaker Server installs so that I can track down all of them.

look for a file FMS 12 Installer Log at the top level of your hard drive; it

purports to list all the files, though it will be tedious to reverse the

install manually, and that won't completely solve the problem; the uninstaller

that came with the previous version you had installed is your best bet; if you

haven't deleted it, the uninstaller may be in /Library/FileMaker/FileMaker Server

The error Im getting now is that Filemaker Server is unable to make a Used ID.

in addition to files, the installation created a user fmserver and a group

fmsadmin; it may or may not be all you need to do, but you can delete these

from the shell or with /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility

• 5. Re: Server Installation error
                  RogerAC

Thanks Steve

Your right about the Installer log, I was about to print it out and saw that it was 322 pages long!!!!

I have now got to the stage that the program is saying that it was installed correctly but I get this screen when I click on the Start Page link and despite clicking on the link on this page it doesnt go any further.

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 10.33.01.jpg

Any still think there is a hidden file someplace that I cannot find, is there any way of showing hidden files?

Playbyte

• 6. Re: Server Installation error
                    databuzz

Hi Playbyte,

Try looking in your Safari downloads (not the OS X Downloads folder) - from the Safari view menu select "Show Downloads" and see if there is a file named "admin_console_webstart.jnlp" (see attached screenshot).

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 9.37.40 PM.png

If there is click the icon next to it to show in the Finder then double click to Open to get the Admin Console actually started.

I've done a few installations of FM Server v12.0v4 in the last week and each time I had to do the above to get the Admin Console to start. Make sure you've installed 12.0v4 as well.

HTH,

Andrew

FileMaker 12/11/10/9/8 Certified Developer

Databuzz

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phone: +61 2 9484 6565

Mobile: +61 418 468 103

Email: andrew@databuzz.com.au

http://www.databuzz.com.au

• 7. Re: Server Installation error
                      RogerAC

Hi Andrew

I followed this instruction and Safari showed the downloads OK but when I tried to double click on it I got an error message telling me that Safari cant open it as it has been moved since I downloaded it.

It also had numbers in the link as well eg admin_console_init_webstart-2.jnlp so I tried stripping the number out but all that happened then was to bring up a google search listing.

I have tried finding this file using spotlight but nothing found on my Mac.

Playbyte

• 8. Re: Server Installation error
                        DavidZakary

Once you find the file - instead of double clicking it, right click and choose open with Java Webstart to insure it opens with the right app. Every once in a while I get BBEdit trying to open the file.

• 9. Re: Server Installation error
                          RogerAC

HI David

Unfortunatly when I right click the file in the download part of Sarafi it doesnt give me the option to open it with - so I am unable to direct it to the Java.

The file is not present on my Mac as I have checked using the Spotlight program, it only shows web page listings for it.

Playbyte

• 10. Re: Server Installation error
                            PeterWindle

playbyte, I am also stuck at the same point you are whilst trying to install the admin console FMS 12v4.

Except, for me, I can launch the file, but it does not launch the console. For me, I get the Java 7... dialogue come up and it stays there for a LONG time, then it eventually tells me that the application could not be launched.

This whole server console/Java experience has become a right pain in the butt since Apple dropped built in Java.

I have just spend the last few hours un-installing server, deleting user accounts from the Apple server, downloading Java, restarting server and I'm still getting no joy!

• 11. Re: Server Installation error
                              DavidZakary

The right click would be at the Finder level.

• 12. Re: Server Installation error
                                PeterWindle

yay! finally got my copy up and running. Thanks guys

• 13. Re: Server Installation error
                                  RogerAC

Update

I am getting closer as I found the relevant file and followed the instructions above.

Now I only have the following error to sort out (Ithink) and everything should be OK fingers crossed.

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 13.54.04.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 16.35.41.jpg

• 14. Re: Server Installation error
                                    databuzz

Make sure you have the correct ports opened for your 2 machine deployment type. See pages 23-24 of the FileMaker Server 12 Getting Started Guide PDF and try again.