Could you download Silverlight again and reinstall it. I believe it tries to install on all available browser which would include FileMaker's. Maybe you installed FileMaker after Silverlight was installed and that is why FileMaker's web viewer doesn't work. Not sure, but worth a try.
Nice idea, but no. I just installed Silverlight and no dice.
Any other guesses?
I've seen you're already familiare with that post:
Have you tried this one?
You might want to try using an online browser-detection tool in your Web Viewer, like:
This link above shows different infos in Safari than in FM Webviewer!
Browser Version: 536.29.13 [Safari] | 536.28.10 [FM WV]
User Agent String: … Version/6.0.4 Safari/536.29.13 [Safari] | … Safari/531.9 [FM WV]
In my case, FileMaker isn't using the same Webkit?!
Have you tried WV-behaviour on Win OS?
I have not personally tried Windows; the client may have. I can check. I'll take a look at the browser detection tool.
Question is, is there anyone who has had success with this?
Client says he hasn't tried it on Windows (doesn't have any FM installs on that platform). I did look at the browser detection tool and, as you note, there are some differences in the versions of Webkit. Not enormously different, but different. One thing did stick out, though. Safare has "Web SQL Database" as supported; the Web Viewer shows it as not supported. Again, I know very little about Silverlight, but might that be enough to blow up a Silverlight app?
do you have the URL of that Silverlight site?
I have VM Win 7 and Win 8 on my Mac.
FMPA 12, Windows 7 via Parallels - works
FMPA 12 OS X 10.8.3 - get load widget - blank screen
Interesting. Any theories?
Beyond "Silverlight sucks as much as Flash" no. Sorry. Browser plugins in a web viewer are always going to be a mixed bag of pain.
Okay, thanks. I'll try not to pass on the evaluation of Silverlight to the customer.
I don't think that this will really advance the cause much (if at all), but for what it is worth, the error that Silverlight is reporting during the attempt to load that page into the webviewer appears to be as follows:
Unhandled Error in Silverlight Application
Message: System.NullReferenceException: [Arg_NullReferenceException]
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=4.1.10329.0&File=mscorlib.dll&Key=Arg_NullReferenceException
at HCSilverlightClient.App.Application_UnhandledException(Object sender, ApplicationUnhandledExceptionEventArgs e)
at MS.Internal.Error.CallApplicationUEHandler(Exception e)
at MS.Internal.Error.GetXresultForUserException(Exception ex)
Unfortunately, the NullReferenceException seems to come a dime a dozen. I did a little googling to see what this turned up, but since the gist of the error is "I thought my variable had a value, but it didn't", as you can imagine, there are lots of potential causes. I kept an eye open for scenarios where this error was being encountered only in certain specific environments (while working fine in others) -- there were such cases, but I wasn't able to make a direct link back to the difference between OSX FMPA-webviewer versus Safari.
So, pretty much there's no new info here -- just further indication that what you already suspected is true: The plug-in does appear to be loading, but it is hitting an error when it looks for something (we don't know what) and it doesn't find it. I played a few compare-and-contrast games between the two environments, just to see what I could break as I systematically tried to simulate the Safari environment to appear more like the webviewer enviroment. No clues. Most of what seemed to matter was already identical between the two environments. The one piece that I did not check out (forgot about it until after I uninstalled Silverlight from my machine) was to check out whether things would break in Safari if I turned off local DB storage -- i.e. followup on the clue that you already picked up on earlier in the thread. Not sure what could be done about this if this were the point of failure, but it would be interesting to think about...
Thanks, Steve. Above and beyond, as usual!
As it turns out, the client wanted to use FileMaker to get around the iOS limitation on browser plugins. So everyone's help was basically wasted. Sigh. Wish he'd've told me that in the first place.
Thanks to all who participated.