4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 8:36 AM by jrubenh

PDF content not copyable on PC

jrubenh

I have created several FMP database programs that we run on our iPads. I use a script to create PDFs of the data we collect, which works fine on the iPad. We can select text and cut and paste from those PDFs when we load them onto our PCs or Macs. I use the script command "Save Records as PDF", without dialog, records being browsed, no security options selected.

The issue I ran into was when I created a PDF using the same database program, but did so on a PC laptop (Dell, running Windows 7 Enterprise). The PDF was created, without any security features (no password), yet we could not select any text for cutting and pasting when we opened the PDF. The properties of the PDFs created on the iPad, the ones created on a MacBook (OS X 10.8.3), and the ones created on the Dell laptop looked identical. Yet while the text was selectable on the PDF created on the iPad and MacBook, the ones created on the PC were somehow locked.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PDF content not copyable on PC
          PeterWindle

Just a thought, what about the properties of the pdf on Windows?

• 2. Re: PDF content not copyable on PC
            mikebeargie

What PDF reader on the PC are you using? Also what version of filemaker? I know there has been some PDF issues that were ironed out in the latest 12 update - 12.0v4

• 3. Re: PDF content not copyable on PC
              jrubenh

The properties of the PDFs created on all three platforms (PC, Mac, iPad) are identical.  Printing: Allowed, Document Assembly: Not Allowed, Content Copying: Allowed, Content Copying for Accessibility: Allowed, Page Extraction: Allowed, Commenting: Not Allowed, Filling of form fields: Allowed, Signing: Not Allowed, Creation of Template Pages: Not Allowed.

• 4. Re: PDF content not copyable on PC
                jrubenh

Adobe Reader on the PC and Mac is 9.5.5.

FIleMaker on all platforms is the latest, 12.0v4 for the computers, 12.0.7.71127 for FileMaker Go 12.

After a bit more testing here is what I discovered.

For a PDF created on the Mac or iPad, it is selectable on all platforms, using Adobe Reader.

For a PDF created on the PC, Adobe Reader will NOT allow selection of text on either the PC or Mac.  However, using Preview on the Mac and using Foxit on the PC I can select text in the PDF.

So while there is a difference in how FMP creates a PDF on a Windows platform, it is only Adobe that seems to have a problem with it.