6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 6:17 PM by cortical

send mail failure - Mac Mountain Lion

cortical

Mac OS 10.8.3 , affects FMPA11 and FMPA 12

simple send email script that have been working in numerous databses for years, now do not work.

Suspect it is yet another Java perversity.

Have not had Java installled on my MacBookPro sinve last clean OS install, hadn't recognised that email scripting was not working ( having been away quite abit in recent months...)

Now get FM message:

"Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem."

Note that the script stepping does not post an error code

Thinking it may be lack of Java, installed update, which deleted Java Prefs... dropped in a copy of Java prefs...

Deleted FM12 and re-installed ( fmpa_12.0.1.183a.dmg, fm_updater_12.0.4.403.dmg), same message.

Any guesses, insights, spotting of the obvious?

Current Java installed is 1.6.0_45-b06-451

• 1. Re: send mail failure - Mac Mountain Lion
          jbrown

COrtical,

I've seen this problem quite a bit. I use outlook. Do you use outlook as well?

I asked filemaker to look at it and they pointed me to the MAIL program installed on the mac. I went into Mail, into the preferences and listed the Default mail reader as MS Outlook.

That fixed the problem.

Not sure why you need mail to direct Filemaker to send mail through outlook, but that worked for me.

• 2. Re: send mail failure - Mac Mountain Lion
            cortical

Hi Jeremy,

no Outlook on my Mac ( no microsoft anything).

I had a look at System Preferences>Mail,Contacts & Calendars:

"Mail, Contacts & Calendars sets up your accounts to use with Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, and other apps"

Other apps eh?

btw, are you saying FileMaker suggested yo use something other than the default Mail application?

• 3. Re: send mail failure - Mac Mountain Lion
              sporobolus

on 2013-05-15 19:29 cortical wrote

Mac OS 10.8.3 , affects FMPA11 and FMPA 12

Have not had Java installled on my MacBookPro sinve last clean OS install, hadn't recognised that email scripting was not working ( having been away quite abit in recent months...)

Now get FM message:

"Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem."

i doubt Java is involved; my understanding is that FileMaker uses Apple Events

to Send Mail (on OS X); it's worth trying to reset your default email

application per the suggestions toward the end of this thread:

<http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/5673d32d79

• 4. Re: send mail failure - Mac Mountain Lion
                cortical

It was Mail Prefs, mysteriously General tab Default email reader set to Thunderbird.

Java was just a pending culprit :-)

Thanks indeed.

Thanks to Jeremy too; I was focused on Accounts tab and settings therein.

• 5. Re: send mail failure - Mac Mountain Lion
                  BruceHerbach

Hi,

I have run into this.  FileMaker can't send e-mail using Thunderbird as the e-mail application.   You can use Mail.app.  In the Mail App preferences,  you can select the default e-mail tool.  Convenient place to change it.

The other thing you can do is send the e-mail directly using SMTP.  I have found that for some things this works very well.  There are limitations,  like having a mail server that will accept SMTP adn only allowing a single attachement.  Google does well as the SMTP server.  I have set up accounts for clients specificly for their applications.  Internal mail servers will work as well.  Sometimes you have to work a bit to get the admins to open this method.

Lee Lukehart at Savvy Data has a nice tool for trouble shooting SMTP.  If you are interested take a look at this blog post.   http://www.savvydata.com/blog/2009/11/fixing-smtp-send-mail-error-1506/

• 6. Re: send mail failure - Mac Mountain Lion
                    cortical

Hi Bruce

<< FileMaker can't send e-mail using Thunderbird as the e-mail application.   You can use Mail.app.  In the Mail App preferences,  you can select the default e-mail tool.  Convenient place to change it.>>

I had never inteded to use TB as the mail client; it somehow got set in mail prefs...

I use SMTP for some server & NAS box notifications. the linked file looks useful

thanks