4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 10:59 AM by sporobolus

FileMaker Export request

Johan Hedman

In coming version it would be very usful if we had a chance of chosing our own name for each column we exporter.

Say I wanted to export field

Fg01_Company_Name

Fg02_Company_Address

Fg34_Type

Fg57_Total_Invoiced

into a Excel-report

Instead of having labels for each column being the field names I would like to name each column myself in the export dialog.

So instead I could have columns in Excel like

Company

Address

Type

Total Invoiced

• 1. Re: FileMaker Export request
          PeterWindle

A really nice way to provide this would be via the "Table" view, so that you can label the field headers to whatever you like, rather than be stuck with the fieldname.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Export request
            Johan Hedman

You didn´t really understand my point. A lot of different users love to get there reports in Excel so that they can laborate back and forward. Because of our name structure they sometimes need new labels and beacuse of that reason I requested the new feature. I´m very well aware of what FileMaker can do.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Export request
              PeterWindle

I understood your point, I'm meerly trying to point out that if it where possible to change the field names in table view, this would be an ideal interface from which to do it. Saving records as Excel from the table view would an excellent way to do this, if you could rename the fields.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Export request
                sporobolus

on 2013-05-16 3:15 johanhedman wrote

In coming version it would be very usful if we had a chance of chosing our own name for each column we exporter.

two methods are available; though they are not as direct as you describe, you

won't have to wait for FMI:

1) copy records to a scratch table whose field names are as desired, export

from that table as Merge format (which is CSV with field names)

2) copy records to a scratch table with a set of text fields for each column

(watch the formatting on any non-text fields that are copied), then add a

record at the top and insert desired field names into the cells of this record

(via script, or user could input field names)

bonus method:

3) XML export with an XSL transform (e.g. convert directly to Excel format)