5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2013 5:24 AM by wimdecorte

Remote Access/Network Issues with FMP Server

scott.i

Hey everyone, I've recently been attempting to access database files on a Mac Mini running FMP Server 11 from an external network. I eventually worked the issue to a point where if I were to go to 'open remote' on a client computer on the internal network, I can see the dabases under 'local host,' but cannot see them when entering in the external IP. I basically followed these steps-

-Went into Security and allowed everyone 'access via the filemaker network.'

-Uploaded a test database using the 'Upload Database' command on FMP Server.

-Opened the ports listed here in Snow Leopard Servers' firewall, primarily ports 16000 and 5003. I eventually turned the firewall off completely when I couldn't get it to work.

-Port fowarded port 5003 on the router to the servers internal static IP, 10.1.10.8

After doing this, a client computer on the same internal LAN using remote access could see and access the databases on the local ip, but not using the external ip(acquired from www.whatismyip.com). It seems that the databases are shared in FMP Server, but the call from an external IP is either not being fowarded correctly to the server, or the server is not sending packet data back after the connection is made. Using a port fowarding tester, I can tell that the port is open correctly, but can't trace where the packets are going. I can also ping my external address just fine. On the host server computer, I can turn on firewall logging and try to send an external 'open remote' access call via Filemaker Pro 11, I can see that an 'out' call is made on the correct port, 5003, and I recieve an 'in' return call on 10.1.10.8:5003, so it would seem the port fowarding is working fine, though I'm not sure this verifies that.

The Mac Mini server computer is running Snow Leopard Server, with a copy of both Filemaker Pro 11, and Filemaker Server 11 installed. Client computers are running Snow Leopard and Filemaker Pro 11. Our network is setup with a Comcast router/modem, connected to a switch hub. Can anyone think of anything else that needs to be done to setup remote access? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: Remote Access/Network Issues with FMP Server
          LyndsayHowarth

Have you turned on the sharing for the file.

Not only do you need account/privileges to allow access via FMNet but you also have to actually share the file.

File>sharing>FileMaker Network.

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Remote Access/Network Issues with FMP Server
            scott.i

Thanks for the response Lyndsay.  I was under the impression that since I could see the files shared on the local network, they were already setup to be shared on an external network.  Does this option only effect sharing on an external network?

I'll be back at the office later on today, I'll give this a try and report back.  Thanks!

Scott

• 3. Re: Remote Access/Network Issues with FMP Server
              wimdecorte

It does not.

Your explanation was very thorough; the only thing I can point at is that the port forwarding is not working as expected.  Are there other ports forwarded that you could check to make sure that the router config is ok?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Remote Access/Network Issues with FMP Server
                scott.i

I did test some other ports this morning, I opened port 80(web traffic port), and was able to use the external IP in a browser to access Snow Leopard Server.  I did the same with port 16000, and was able to externally access the Filemaker Server admin console.  I also verified with Snow Leopard Server's firewall that when I attempt to access port 5003 externally, the Filemaker Server mac does recieve a connection log.  So I'm pretty certain that the port fowarding is working correctly now, and the issue lies with the Filemaker Server mac itself.

I'm currently focusing on the fact that we have both Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Server(and Snow Leopard Server) installed on the same Mac Mini.  I know your not really supposed to do this, but could Filemaker Pro be grabing the traffic before Filemaker Server?  We'd like to avoid unistalling FMP if possible, but I've tried connecting to Filemaker Server externally with Filemaker Pro closed and had no luck.  I also haven't found anything around the web that shows issues with Snow Leopard Server, but besides the firewall, I'm not sure if its user accounts or other options might adversely affect Filemaker Server.

I did try file>sharing>filemaker network, but the files are already shared on Filemaker Server, so Filemaker Pro will not reshare them.  Again, I'm guessing that since I uploaded the databases on Filemaker Server, and can see them through an internal LAN, I'm assuming I should be able to see them externally. 

So I believe I ruled out port fowarding and sharing options as the issue, and hopefully its just a case of another program grabing the packets before Filemaker Server.  Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks,

Scott

• 5. Re: Remote Access/Network Issues with FMP Server
                  wimdecorte

scott.i wrote:

I'm currently focusing on the fact that we have both Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Server(and Snow Leopard Server) installed on the same Mac Mini.  I know your not really supposed to do this, but could Filemaker Pro be grabing the traffic before Filemaker Server? 

Sorta.  If FMP is open when you start FMS then FMS' database engine will not start because FMP has a hold on port 5003.  If FMS is already running when you launch FMP, FMP will still run but complain that it can not share (since it can't grab port 5003).

So there is no scenario that you can have both FMP and FMS running on the same machine both listening for traffic.  The first one to launch will grab port 5003, the other one will not get access to it.  And if FMS is the second it will not launch and not host files.

You do seem to have ruled out port forwarding.  Latency on the WAN connection could explain why nothing shows up; if the connection takes too long to resolve.  Can you test from different places?