1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2013 8:11 AM by LabsRock

Help:  Multiple fields into one field like a portal, but not a portal

gadgetat

Our company has been using Filemaker for over 6 months and the general concensus is that the database is working well, and it's design is acceptible with one issue. The owner of the business does not like the look of portals in the forms for reporting.

Simple example. We have a Landowners Table, Contracts Table, and a Land Parcel Table. The reason for this design is working around many to many issues. 1 landowner can have multiple contracts and multiple parcels. A contract can have only 1 landowner, and multiple parcels (not necessarily all of the parcels the landowner has). And one parcel can be on multiple contracts. So, Contracts ties everything together.

Currently when you pull up a landowner you can see all the parcels under the landowner in a portal. My boss would like to get rid of the portal and have 1 "Cell" with all the parcels put together.

What we'd like to do is Group by a contract number, and in the report have all the parcels popped into a summary field associated with that contract. I've tried calculation fields but they fail. The simple solution is to have a portal on the form, but it doesn't "make for good printing." Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 10.10.52 AM.pngWhat the owner would like to see is the surface owner and a single field, let's say "Parcels Grouped" that would display all parcels that would be in the portal.

Rich Charpentier

• 1. Re: Help:  Multiple fields into one field like a portal, but not a portal
          LabsRock

Hi Rich,

There are several approaches that you could use.  If a field is preferable you should be able to use a calculation field and the List function.  The field would be in your Owner table and would look something like List (Parcels::ParcelNumber) where ParcelNumber would be any field that you want displayed.

On your layout you'll either want the field to be large enough to display the maximum number of parcels you could expect for any single owner or possibly show the scroll bar on the side. If you don't do either of these you'll need to click in the field to see everything listed.  If this is for printing I would recommend placing the field on the layout as a Merge Field and setting the text box to "Slide Up" and to "Reduce of the size of the enclosing part."  You can then make the text box as large as you like, but once you switch to Preview Mode or go to print the page it will only use as much space as needed based on the length of the list for that Owner.  Sliding and Visibility is under the position tab in the Inspector.

An alternative, generally the one I prefer for reports, is to create a sub-summary report.  This would require creating a layout for the report based on your Parcels table.  You can use FileMaker's layout wizard to create a first cut at a sub-summary layout for something like this and then modify it to fit any desired formatting.  FileMaker's wizard will also create a basic script for running the report that you can also then modify to suit specific needs.

I hope this helps.

Craig