3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 8:05 AM by theatermacker

Get information "Guest account" via IWP from a hosted database

theatermacker

I have a hosted database on a hosting FM server. Each time a Guest is consulting the database via IWP, in a special Table a new record is made to gather info from that user. By using a field with calculation <Get ( SystemIPAddress )> I receive back the address of the hosting server and not of the guest account. Same happens with <Get ( SystemLanguage )>, <Get ( SystemPlatform )> and <Get ( SystemVersion )>. How can I get the information from the IWP Guest instead of the hosting server information?

• 1. Re: Get information "Guest account" via IWP from a hosted database
          mikebeargie

All of those functions are evaluated from the context of the machine that's doing the filemaker work. In this case, the client isn't using filemaker, they're using a web browser, so the context is evaluated from the server.

The most robust tracking abilities would come from a CWP solution, as all of those functions are available via fairly easy PHP calls. In IWP though, I'm not sure it's possible at all.

Another solution would be to create a PHP script that runs on your web server and replaces the IWP login page. You intake their username and password, record all the data you need to record, then pass the username and password to IWP to login. I believe (but am not 100% sure) that you can auto-login to IWP by passing a username and password.

If this is mission critical, you might want to find a PHP developer to help you out.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Get information "Guest account" via IWP from a hosted database
            LyndsayHowarth

Yes... all the Client Info functions were removed in perhaps FMPv7. (see pic)

If tracking your clients is important for demographics, having a custom PHP logon page as Mike suggests would be also good for adding some Google Analytics. You get some really good info about every detail of their visit and how they got there and where they are from etc etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Get information "Guest account" via IWP from a hosted database
              theatermacker

Sorry for my very late reply. Thanks to a FileMaker Community mail my attention has been awaked on this problem, that I stil have of course. As I am starting to rebuild my application from scratch with FM 13, I will try to find out what are the possibilities now. That information is not crucial for the application, but the organization OISTAT for which that project is set up is curious with kind of users from which part of the world are using our "Digital Theatre Words".

Best wishes for the New Year,

Jerome