4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 2:44 PM by ianblackburn

Circles in FMS admin console

jc_sc

Hi,

Just curious about what causes the circles in the Filemaker Server Admin Console Databases display to be full or half empty?Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 3.42.37 PM.png

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Circles in FMS admin console
          Mike_Mitchell

The "half empty" circle indicates the file is enabled for that sort of sharing, but hidden from the "Open Remote" dialog box (or, in this case from the IWP Home Page). This is controlled via the "Don't display in Instant Web Publishing homepage" checkbox in the File > Sharing > Instant Web Publishing dialog.

Mike

• 2. Re: Circles in FMS admin console
            jc_sc

Mike thanks for your reply. My coworkers and I remain perplexed however for several reasons. The path you metion above: File > Sharing > Instant Web Publishing seems to be relavant only when hosting IWP from Filemaker Pro Client... Correct?

When using FM server advanced it seems the control is done from the server admin console, except you turn on IWP using File > Manage > Security > Privledge Sets tab, select Privledge Sets (eg [Full Access], then click on Edit, and then select the Extended Privledges such as "Access via Instant Web Publishing" (fmiwp), etc... (phew!)

The files that have "Access via Instant Web Publishing" selected show up on the IWP home page except for one troublemaker file we can't seeem to get to show up on the IWP home page no matter what. We're wondering if through converting it all the way from 8.5 through 11.0 and now 12 a flag somehow became flipped, a little bug in this file. We're wondering if we should remove the file temporarily from being hosted via FMSA, open it in the client, turn on IWP for this file on the client so we can simply check and then uncheck this .... OK, it was a pain but just back from doing this and it did fix it. I "unhosted" the file from FMSA, did a file transfer from our FM server to my machine, opened it in the with my FM Pro Advanced client, turned on IWP using the File > Sharing > Instant Web Publishing dialog, found the "Don't display in Instant Web Publishing homepage" checkbox on, unchecked it, went the reverse and it is now working fine in FMSA... there are two seperate paths to host your FM files in IWP if you have FMSA as well as FMPA, but the FMSA path is lacking the functionality to select/unselect this option.

Best Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Circles in FMS admin console
              Mike_Mitchell

Jim -

Perhaps I can clear up your confusion.

All access to a file being hosted via IWP is controlled through FileMaker (Pro or Advanced). Allow me to repeat:

All access to a file being hosted via IWP is controlled through the FileMaker client.

The only thing Server does is determine whether IWP is enabled at all (i.e., whether it will allow files to be shared via IWP), not whether any particular file is allowed to be shown. Hence, as you discovered, you will have to open the file using FileMaker (client, not hosted by Server) to enable / disable the "Don't display in Instant Web Publishing homepage" option.

You are correct in that there are two paths for hosting a file via IWP: You can host it using FileMaker client (Pro or Advanced), or you can host it via Server. If it helps, you can think of Pro / Advanced as being a little mini-server for this function (because that's really how it acts for the purposes of sharing the file). But in either case, controlling whether a file will show up as available for IWP is based on the settings you provide in that file; Server has nothing to do with it.

HTH

Mike

• 4. Re: Circles in FMS admin console
                ianblackburn

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

The "half empty" circle indicates the file is enabled for that sort of sharing, but hidden from the "Open Remote" dialog box (or, in this case from the IWP Home Page). This is controlled via the "Don't display in Instant Web Publishing homepage" checkbox in the File > Sharing > Instant Web Publishing dialog.

Mike

Thank you!

Does that info exist anywhere in the FMS documentation?