1 Reply Latest reply on May 19, 2013 4:00 AM by PeterWindle

How to us a summary field value from a portal

Hi there,

I have an invoice-table with a product-portal. The products (here "ads in a magazine") have a date (printing date). As an invoice can have n products I need (in my case) the lowest (earliest) date of all products to use this in the invoice.

If I place a summary field in the portal-table "products" with "minimim" on "date" I can integrte that field in the invoice-layout. But - now my problem - I cannot use this field (as it is a summary field) as a date with selector etc. It just shows the date. I tried to have a date-field in the invoice-table and -layout (like "lowest_date_from_booked_products") and a formula to just get the value form the summary-field but now data is displayed.

What do I wrong pr how should I do it differently? Thanks, Luna

• 1. Re: How to us a summary field value from a portal
          PeterWindle

Sounds to me like you may need to use a calculation field.

You can create a calculation field that grabs min/max/last etc from a related table.

for example, if table 1 is Invoices and table 2 is invoice items and you have a relationship between them, you can create a calculation in table 1 called min(invoice items::date) to grab the lowest date via the relationship.

There are a lot of different calculations that work this way. There are also different ways to acheive what you're after, but this is a simple way that should get you the result you're after