1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2013 12:18 AM by CICT

Layout object that I can't delete

aharwell

I have recently upgraded to FM12 PRO Advanced.  I have an object imbedded in a layout that has a button attached to it that's giving me fits.  I can't delete it, I can't see in in Layout mode.  I can see it highlight when I click and hold the button on the mouse down in Browse mode.  I've tried to have it display in Layout when "Select All" is chosen, and isolate it from that perspective, but it won't highlight, tried to grab it with the selector, won't pick it up.  Any ideas on how to delete this?

• 1. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
          Steve Wright

I must admit, I have never experience this myself but here's the first few things I would try.

Duplicate the layout.. any difference?

Select all, then copy and paste to an empty layout on the same table occurence.  Is it still there?

Run a recovery on a copy of the file... any difference?

Could it be that the object is anchored so perhaps in a different position in browse mode than it is in layout mode?

i.e hiding underneath other objects when in layout mode, but due to the anchor, positioned somewhere you would expect to be able to grab it when viewing in browse mode.

• 2. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
            flybynight

I would suspect that object anchoring is the culprit here, too. Does the object move when you re-size the window?

Like Steve suggested, make a duplicate of your layout (copy/paste). If the object is still there in browse mode, but not in layout mode, start deleting OTHER objects (on your duplicate, of course), and see if you can "uncover" it. Once you know where to look in layout mode, then you can try to select it under the other objects with the command key drag.

Let us know what the issue was, if you find it!

-Shawn

• 3. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
              LabsRock

When you say you recently converted to 12, does that mean this is a file you had been using in 11 (or an older version)?  Did you look in the older version to see if you can find it there?

Craig

• 4. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                mikebeargie

If anchoring is to blame, you could also select all, and apply top/left anchoring to all objects so nothing slides. If the position of the object changes, than you know it was anchoring.

As always and to reiterate, do this on a duplicate of the layout so you don't lose any settings for your original layout.

• 5. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                  aharwell

Steve;

First and foremost, I want to thank you for your response and advice on this issue. Your expertise and interest in assisting me are greatly appreciated.  I have responded to your suggeted steps below in a red font.  An interesting note, when I duplicated the layout and was searching for the object in Browse (in the duplicated Layout), I had a "Tool Tip" appear with what I can remember as having been written as follows: "Click to go to Layout Mode to learn how to design Dynamic Layouts."  This Tool Tip popped up only once.  I tried for about a half an hour to get it to display again, but it never did.  I never placed a tool tip on any object with that Tip, I can assure you of that.  I have saved the layout in the event I can forward it to someone who may have an interest in determining what's going on here. 

Thanks again and very best regards,

Anderson

• 6. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                    aharwell

Shawn, thank you very much for your interest and efforts to assist me, they are greatly appreciated.  I took your and Steve's advice on the matter and nothing worked.  I did however manage to rebuild the layout by doing what you suggested by cut n' paste, and it works fine.  I'm saving the "infected" layout in the event someone at Filemaker would like to look at it to determine what;s going on. 

An interesting note, when I duplicated the layout and was searching for the object in Browse (in the duplicated Layout), I had a "Tool Tip" appear with what I can remember as having been written as follows: "Click to go to Layout Mode to learn how to design Dynamic Layouts."  This Tool Tip popped up only once.  I tried for about a half an hour to get it to display again, but it never did.  I never placed a tool tip on any object with that Tip, I can assure you of that.

Again, thanks very much.

Very best regards,

Anderson

• 7. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                      aharwell

Craig;

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I started this solution in 11 Pro Advanced.  I looked in the older version (11) as you mentioned and it was not there.  Your interest and efforts to assist are greatly appreciated.

Very best regards,

Anderson

• 8. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                        CICT

Hi

I don't have a solution for you, but just to let you know we've had exactly the same problem.

In our case we were lucky as we were positioning a new field on a layout and the field appeared to be behind a background object and displayed all the symptoms described. After much time trying to delete things, arrange things, etc. the problem was solved by dragging another copy of the same field into an area on the layout without a background object, saving the layout and miraculously the hidden field appeared in front of all background objects, where it could be positioned/deleted. We've had similar problems with a field in the hidden developer area on a layout before.

However, we don't know whether adding a duplicate field was a coincidence and how you would solve the problem for a non field object.

There do seem to be some outstanding issues when designing with background objects (particularly with converted files), which we use all the time to enhance the inteface, and of course tabs. Developing in both Mac and Windows we're always having to remind ourselves which key we have to use to select in the pre v12 method when trying to work on top of a tab or filled object, which is always immediately selected when selecting objects on top of it. Progress!

Andy

• 9. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                          aharwell

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  I tried your suggestion to no avail, but I appreciate your interest and effort to assist.  Strange happenings.  An interesting note, when I duplicated the layout and was searching for the object in Browse (in the duplicated Layout), I had a "Tool Tip" appear with what I can remember as having been written as follows: "Click to go to Layout Mode to learn how to design Dynamic Layouts."  This Tool Tip popped up only once.  I tried for about a half an hour to get it to display again, but it never did.  I never placed a tool tip on any object with that Tip, I can assure you of that.

Very best regards and thanks again for the assistance.

Anderson

• 10. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                            debi

Anderson,

Sorry, this is not an answer to your problem, But I'm wondering if the tooltip you saw could have been: "Go to Layout mode to design how data is presented onscreen or in reports." that appears over FileMaker's "Edit Layout" button?

Debi Rubel
                            FullCity Consulting

• 11. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                              petertj

I would be very interested to look at this if you can send me both the 11 and 12 versions of the problem file/layout

Peter

• 12. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                                mikebeargie

hrm, it sounds like this has been a pretty big mystery. At some point of time it's going to be worth it just to rebuild the layout from scratch and file the other layout under the "x files".

• 13. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                                  CICT

Hi Peter

I'm sorry, but this occurred and was resolved beetween backups, so having solved it there is no record of before and after. But this is only one  of quite a few issues that still exist with FM11 files that have been upgraded to FM12 files. We've actually reverted to doing layout work on Windows now, as we haven't been able to get reliable custom colours or palettes with the Mac since v12 was released. Very inconvenient as we have to upload our custom colours with every launch!

Regards

Andy

• 14. Re: Layout object that I can't delete
                                    aharwell

Did that already, thanks.

Anderson

1 2 Previous Next