7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 6:18 PM by user10625

    Filemaker Server and NICs

    user10625

      Hello all,

       

      Working with FMS12 on Windows. (2008 R2).

       

      Anybody have opinions as to the degree of performance benefits of adding more NICs to a Filemaker Server?

       

      We already have 4 NICs, and are planning to possibly add 4 more.

       

      We are aware that hard drives are the most important component for performance improvement---that base is already covered (in RAID 10). This machine also has a fast processor.

       

      Thoughts?

       

      Thanks,

      Christopher Bailey

      Baytaflow

      Boston, MA

        • 1. Re: Filemaker Server and NICs
          BruceHerbach

          Christopher,

           

          Before adding more NICs to a system,  I would recommend looking at Performance monitor on the system and see if network is actually a bottleneck.  You can also look at disk performance.  If possible switch to faster disks. 

           

          Other things to consider are how are the clients connected.  What speed is the LAN ( WiFi, Gigabit... )

           

          If possible you might describe the set up.  How many databases,  size.  When/where are you getting complaints about slow performance.

           

          Bruce

          • 2. Re: Filemaker Server and NICs
            user10625

            Hi Bruce,

             

            You may recall the following thread:  https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/114760

             

            Well, it turned out that the problem there was due to an incorrectly set up NIC-coupling thing on the server.  Once our IT folks fixed that, things were back to normal.

             

            But my IT guy was thinking, hey,  if these NIC's can cause issues when setup wrong, then maybe more of them (Set up correctly, of course) would be a good thing.  I told him I would ask around.

             

            Chris Bailey

            BaytaFlow

            Boston, MA

            • 3. Re: Filemaker Server and NICs
              wimdecorte

              user10625 wrote:

               

              Hello all,

               

               

              We are aware that hard drives are the most important component for performance improvement---that base is already covered (in RAID 10).  

               

              That's a misconception.  RAID is not meant to increase performance but to provide redundancy in case of drive failure. 

               

              As Bruce said: do some performance analysis before deciding where to spend the money.  You are likely to benefit more from faster drives and more processing power than from adding more NICs

              • 4. Re: Filemaker Server and NICs
                user10625

                >> user10625 wrote:

                >>

                >> Hello all,

                >>

                >> We are aware that hard drives are the most important component

                >> for performance improvement---that

                >> base is already covered (in RAID 10). 

                >

                >

                >  Wim Decorte wrote:

                >

                > That's a misconception.  RAID is not meant to increase performance but to provide redundancy in case > of drive failure.

                 

                 

                Yes . . I just added that to note that we were using RAID 10, which, of all the RAIDs, I believe is the best-performing one(?)  I know RAID is for redundancy, but I figured someone might ask "what RAID are you using, if any?", in regards to performance . . so I answered the question.

                 

                 

                >

                > As Bruce said: do some performance analysis before deciding where to spend the money.  You are likely

                > to benefit more from faster drives and more processing power than from adding more NICs

                >

                 

                As I said, I think we've got all of this beefed up to the max at this point.  (We also have tons of RAM.)

                 

                So my question was . . how much do NICs add, if anything, to performance, all else being equal.

                 

                Christopher Bailey

                Baytaflow

                Boston, MA

                • 5. Re: Filemaker Server and NICs
                  BruceHerbach

                  Christopher,

                   

                  If the performance monitor doesn't show a bottle neck, then adding more NICs probably won't help much.  If it does then adding another NIC or increasing the available bandwidth will. 

                   

                  Bruce

                  • 6. Re: Filemaker Server and NICs
                    wimdecorte

                    user10625 wrote:

                     

                     

                     

                    So my question was . . how much do NICs add, if anything, to performance, all else being equal.

                     

                     

                    That is a question that is impossible to answer without knowing that the stats are for the current network bandwidth and usage.  If network throughput is not currently a bottleneck then the answer is: nothing.

                    • 7. Re: Filemaker Server and NICs
                      user10625

                      user10625 wrote:

                       

                       

                       

                      So my question was . . how much do NICs add, if anything, to performance, all else being equal.

                       

                      >

                      > That is a question that is impossible to answer

                      > without knowing that the stats are for the current

                      > network bandwidth and usage. 

                      > If network throughput is not currently a

                      >  bottleneck then the answer is: nothing.

                      >

                       

                      Well put!

                       

                      Thanks,

                      Christopher Bailey

                      Baytaflow

                      Boston, MA