7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 6:47 AM by MartinCrosman

Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs

cranstonit

I'm having an odd problem with a FileMaker 12 Server. For some users container fields are blank when they are set to "Interactive content" and a PDF is loaded into the container field.

Server Hardware: MacMini - MacOS 10.6.8 running FileMaker Server 12.0.3

Client: Mix of clients Mac OS 10.6 - 10.8 running FileMaker Pro 12.0.4 - Works problem exists regardless of OS in use, but also works on some regardless of OS in use.

Container Field - Set to store images externally (Open)

Troubleshoot Steps Tried

Rebooted Server and Clients - no effect

Tried testing using FM Sample database - Added a container field and the problem existed

Moved same FM Sample database to different FMS 12.0.3 - Problem went away on all clients

Issue appears to be something with the server. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs
          mikebeargie

Does the server have acrobat installed? probably a stupid notion but it just struck me that on windows machines we have the same problems with .DOCX documents where word is not installed.

• 2. Re: Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs
            cranstonit

On the Macs, the PDF viewer is baked into the OS so you don't need to use Adobe Reader.  Adobe Reader is not installed on any of the computers.

• 3. Re: Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs
              mikebeargie

Well, it's true that it's built into "preview", but that still doesn't address some of the nuances of Acrobat (IE PDF forms and such).

Are the PDFs you're trying to view generated from filemaker itself? or are they being distlled from another program?

• 4. Re: Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs
                cranstonit

That's not the issue though.  The same database files work fine on a different FM12 server that also doesn't have Adobe Installed.  The PDF files are coming from other sources.  I've tried numerous PDF files, even creating some using Mac's Save as PDF and it makes no difference.

When running container fields from the FM Server some users can see the PDF files and most can't.   Move that same file to different FM Server and all users can see all the PDF files.

• 5. Re: Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs
                  mikebeargie

Where I was going with all of this is that there's got to be SOMETHING that's different between the problem server and the good server.

When running container fields from the FM Server some users can see the PDF files and most can't.   Move that same file to different FM Server and all users can see all the PDF files.

This point is highly suspiscious, and I missed it in your first post. This makes me suspicious of your storage path not being accessible by certain users when on the problem server.

Can you check permisions on the directory you have set up on the problem server and see if they're any different for the mirrored server with no issues?

Can you try moving the container back to local (in file) storage temporarily to see if that fixes the issue?

I didn't see it mentioned, but even if the preview doesn't work, are the problem users able to export the field contents?

• 6. Re: Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs
                    cranstonit

Permissions are okay.  I should note that if we set the container field to be optimized for images then it works for all users.  Also, even when the problem is occurring all users can upload files to the container field.  PDFs are just rendered as blank for some users.

• 7. Re: Interactive Container field displays Blank PDFs
                      MartinCrosman

I had a similar problem at an install where I had no control over privileges, firewalls or ports and had to rely on internal IT resources. The problem did come back to privileges and firewall. I was the only person not able to see the pdfs and this was resolved when IT looked closely at my privileges and firewall. I was accessing via VPN.

I have had moments where it appeared the pdfs were not displaying since then however in all of these instances it has just been the size of the pdfs and network performance that apparently is only impacting my unique connection. However in this case I can most some pdfs and then will have to patient to see the larger ones.

Hope that helps

Martin