AnsweredAssumed Answered

Data issues with export from Quickbooks, .csv ... Excel

Question asked by flybynight on May 28, 2013
Latest reply on May 29, 2013 by flybynight

OK, so I did a bunch of exports from Quickbooks in .csv format.

Having some issues importing into FMP… particularly with fields that have a quote " in the field. Usually something denoting inches, like "2 1/2" address labels" etc.

When it hits that ", it messes up the "," field delimiter pattern, and you end up with a string of several fields, even several records, in one field.

I tried bringing it in to Excel first… that helped, but in that case, it drops the " in the middle, and you are left with a trailing " at the end of the field. Not the end of the world, but still annoying.

The other issue is some that number fields that end with a decimal like "256.90" end up in FMP as something like 256.89999999995 - and I know it was only "256.90" in the .csv and shows up as "256.9" in the Excel file. I also tried saving as a tab-delimted .txt file, but in that case, and fields with commas in them ended up wraped in quotes like "Company Name, Inc."

If anyone knows of solutions to these minor issues, let me know. For what it is, we can deal with it, but if there is an easy out, I'll take it.

It might be an issue to go back to the QB file to export in a different format, but not super convenient for me to get access to it.

Thanks,

-Shawn

Outcomes