2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 10:27 AM by jaybobk

Router Settings for FileMaker Server & Internet Access

jaybobk

I am trying to access FM Server 11 via remote locations, however I am unable to.

I have my Netgear router with the correct forwarding setting 5003. I've looked thru the FileMaker information on port forwarding ensuring my settings are set.

Here's some background:

We just changed telephone providers and this is when the problem started. Previous telephone/internet provider I was able to access my files on FM Server 11 just fine, both via cellular services and internet connections at remote locations.

Upon new telephone/internet provider starting service, I'm no longer able to access my databases remotely. I did have to reconfigure the router with new IP, Gateway & DNS addresses to use the new providers network. We are running on a T1 & normal internet browsing is working OK.

Are there additional settings and/or that I should be aware of? Could the new IP, Gateway & DNS addressing be causing my problem?

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Jay

• 1. Re: Router Settings for FileMaker Server & Internet Access
          mikebeargie

As long as you have a clear path for port 5003 from the outside to the server, then you should be able to view traffic.

Things to check:

1) Router NAT should point incoming port 5003 to the INTERNAL IP address of your server (IE 192.168.0.25)

2) Router firewall should have exceptions for port 5003 incoming AND outgoing (if applicable).

3) Server firewall should have exceptions for port 5003 (probably already does).

4) http://www.canyouseeme.org/ go here on your server, type in 5003 and see if it's accessible from the outside.

5) If 4 is NO, Call your ISP and see if anything they need to do to open 5003 hasn't been done.

Since you are using a T1 provider, I am suspicious that the ISP blocking 5003 somewhere in the chain.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Router Settings for FileMaker Server & Internet Access
            jaybobk

Thank you for the www.canyouseeme.org link.  Immediately after I used the utility, the port allowed me in with no problem.