13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 7:22 AM by dcassano

Android

GaryTate

OK, is anyone else finding it a little bit bizarre that there is no Android version of FileMaker Go? Or have I missed it?

You can get FileMaker for Windows, so why not Go for Android (and others)?

Gary

• 1. Re: Android
          sporobolus

on 2013-06-06 7:41 GaryTate wrote

OK, is anyone else finding it a little bit bizarre that there is no Android version of FileMaker Go? Or have I missed it?

You can get FileMaker for Windows, so why not Go for Android (and others)?

i would guess it's a cost/benefit issue; the question of whether the cost of

developing an Android version justifies the benefits; the whole thing would

have to be redeveloped in Java, and accommodate a range of different Android

versions; assuming Go/Android were a free app, how well would it would drive

FileMaker Pro sales?

a highly popular Go app (or apps) would probably make all the difference

• 2. Re: Android
            DavidZakary

Remember who owns FileMaker?

• 3. Re: Android
              sporobolus

on 2013-06-06 11:35 DavidZakary wrote

Remember who owns FileMaker?

i doubt that matters; the point of Go now seems to be to drive FMP sales (on

Windows and OS X platforms); if FMI could sell millions of units to Windows

users, would Apple stop it?

• 4. Re: Android
                intex

and Android is getting stronger and stronger.

• 5. Re: Android
                  GaryTate

I really can't see that as being a show stopper. FileMaker runs on windows.

• 6. Re: Android
                    GaryTate

I would have thought that the easiest thing to do would have been to develop a code base that is useable on multiple platforms from the start, ye it will never be totally cross competible but you could have the core a core that was.

I've been putting together a couple of databases designed to be used on Go to help run local clubs and youth football teams, but a lot of people use Android so they never going to be able to use them.

• 7. Re: Android
                      jormond

Gary,

I think that your best bet will be IWP, unless you have some PHP background.  Based on the initial changes to the architecture of FM12, I can see a positive direction regarding mobile deployment and web publishing.  A CCS-like layout interface in the client model, will help translate to a better web publishing experience.

It doesn't help us right now, but it's a step in the right direction.  IWP is somewhat usable for very basic things, but you have to be ok with it not looking all that great ( and be will to learn some workarounds ).

• 8. Re: Android
                        GaryTate

That relies on a network connection though ;-)

• 9. Re: Android
                          jormond

That is true.

• 10. Re: Android
                            sporobolus

on 2013-06-07 7:27 GaryTate wrote

That relies on a network connection though

if the web engine were right on the mobile device, it could use an HTML

viewport without a need for a network connections

• 11. Re: Android
                              GaryTate

Not sure what you mean. You'd need FileMaker Server running on the device too as something needs to serve the database.

• 12. Re: Android
                                sporobolus

on 2013-06-08 5:05 GaryTate wrote

Not sure what you mean. You'd need FileMaker Server running on the device too as something needs to serve the database.

that's sort of what i mean, but it wouldn't need be FMS per se, just something

capable of serving a database over the web to a single client; to my mind a

single-client "web server" would be a fairly light-weight addition to the

database engine in Go; still something that would have to be coded for iOS and

Android, very different development platforms

• 13. Re: Android
                                  dcassano

FYI-I was just asked the same thing. Users are interested in getting an Android Tablet and using FileMaker Go.