1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 11:10 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Creating a report for a specific date range

jtamayo

I am trying to create an attendance report for events we've had in my department. I have two years worth of event attendance records and am trying to limit the report to just this year's events. When I go to create a report layout, I see I can organize by the date field I have, but I don't see a way of telling it I just want records from 1/1/2013 - 6/1/2013. I know you can do it when performing a find (if I could create a report based on the find, it'd be perfect!) but is there a way to do it for a report?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Creating a report for a specific date range
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, jtamayo.

In FileMaker, a "report" is just a layout used for printing or presenting the data. The found set is the data that are presented, so, yes, you would perform a Find. If you want the report to produce a found set for you, you would perform your Find, then switch to the appropriate layout. You can also perform a Sort, if you choose, to present the data in the appropriate order.

All of this can be automated using a script. You can write a script that looks something like this:

Go to Layout [ {your report layout here} ]

Perform Find [ {appropriate Find requests here } ]

Sort [ { appropriate Sort order here } ]

Print Setup [ Restore { to the right settings for the report } ; No dialog { if you don't want the user to have to click through it } ]

Print [ ]

Go to Layout [ original layout ]

This is, of course, very basic, but you can attach this to a button that you can click to generate the report automatically.

HTH

Mike