3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 2:49 AM by PeterWindle

Auto detect Host Address for remote and internal users

submarine

I am helpng my clients to configure the internal and remote host addresses of a FM GO solution.

When the clients access the solution outside of their company's network, they have to use the external IP and internal IP when they are in the office.

The clients need to be aware of whether they are within the network or not which is kind of troublesome.

Is there a way to auto-detect this?

• 1. Re: Auto detect Host Address for remote and internal users
          PeterWindle

Although I have not created this for more than one "network", you could, in theory, do the following:

You can create an 'opener' file,

your opener file would have the following:

1. more than one external data source file path defined using the internal IP and external IP

2. an opening script within your opener file can detect your current IP address then choose to run another script from the hosted file, choosing which file reference to use.

3. The 'opener' file should have that script run upon opening the 'opener', then it should close the file after the hosted file is opened.

• 2. Re: Auto detect Host Address for remote and internal users
            submarine

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply but I think it may not work as I still need to create 2 file references -- one for remote user with external IP and in-house user with internal IP to open the 'opener' file.

Let me clarify my issue a little bit more:

My clients will need to access the same solution either from home or office. Depending on their location, they will need to choose the correct IP to the hosted file.

• 3. Re: Auto detect Host Address for remote and internal users
              PeterWindle

Sorry, forgot to mention, the opener is to be copied to each device you need access to the system from. The file itself does not need to contain much - just 1 script to be initiated upon opening.

There is no problem with having multiple file references within this file, you just need to distribute the file to all users.