4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 2:44 PM by vcarl

Populating fields based on key field

vcarl

I am using FM12. I have 6 fields in a tab panel layout. The first field Gallery is a dropdown list with five unique names. When a name is selected is it possible to have the raimaning 5 fields auto populate based on the value of the first field? There are other occurances in the db of this same information. I have attached a screen shot of the titles and fields I am trying to populate.

• 1. Re: Populating fields based on key field
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, vcarl.

Yes, the sort of thing you're doing is certainly possible. What I would suggest is you set up a table in your database for "Galleries". You have one record in this table per gallery. Each gallery has all the information in your graphic (address, phone, etc.).

Then, you set up a relationship between your Galleries table and the current table. Make Gallery (name?) = Gallery Name. You can then "populate" the contact information in one of two ways, depending on your needs:

1) You can use a lookup to copy the data from the Galleries table into the current table. This is a useful option if you want the information to stay the same if it changes in the future (if, for example, you want to know what the information was at the time you made the entry, not what it is at the present time).

2) You can use the related fields from the Galleries table. In this case, FileMaker will show you not fields in the current table, but the current information from Galleries. Use this option if you want the information to be current at all times (i.e., when information for a gallery changes, it automatically shows the new information in all records related to that gallery on the screen you're showing).

This is a very basic example of relational design. In a more advanced design, you might separate out your contact information from your gallery information (in case, for instance, you had more than one email address for a given gallery). But this should get you going.

For more in-depth treatment of relational data modeling, I recommend you pick up a copy of the FileMaker Training Series and go slowly and carefully through Module 3. It covers the process at some length.

HTH

Mike

Edit: Of course, as your skills in this area advance, you'll want to use a unique primary key (perhaps a serial ID or the Get ( UUID ) function ) instead of the name of the gallery to link the two tables together. This prevents typos and duplicates from messing up your relational joins. But you can absorb that as you go.

• 2. Re: Populating fields based on key field
            vcarl

Mike,

Thank you for your reply.  FileMaker Training Series Module 3, are you are referring to the demo videos for FM12?

Vince

• 3. Re: Populating fields based on key field
              Mike_Mitchell

Vince -

You can find out more about the FileMaker Training Series at this link:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/training/fts.html

HTH

Mike

• 4. Re: Populating fields based on key field
                vcarl

Mike,

Thank you for your help.

After much time today I finally achieved my goal with your guidance. 

thank you,  Vince Carl