1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 6:54 AM by monkeybreadsoftware

2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm

taylorsharpe

I was reading up on the WWDC announcement about the new MacPro and trying to imagine how fast FileMaker Server will run on it. It sure seems to be an incredible machine. The MacWorld review is at http://www.macworld.com/article/2041329/the-new-mac-pro-hands-on-and-what-you-need-to-know.html#tk.nl_mwdaily

If you're a graphic artist, the two video cards will support up to three 4K monitors.... basically monitors that are 4 times as much resolution as a single HDTV. Now if I can only afford the monitors.

It is only about 10 inches high and 7 inches wide... and it is a cynlinder. Sure looks cool. I wonder how it will mount in a rack.

Haswell E5 Xeon chips will be screamers and Apple says about twice as fast as the current Xeon cpus in today's Mac Pro. And 12 cores sure will handle lots of threads for a FileMaker server with many many users simultaneously connected!

Store is going to be PCI Express flash storage. Hmmmm.... I know nothing about it, but supposedly it is a lot faster than even SSD storage. That will be welcome for a screaming fast database!

And you can configure it with up to 128GB or RAM! I can only imagine how much that will cost <grin>

I look forward to trying one out when they come out later this year! I bet it won't be cheap!

• 1. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
          sporobolus

on 2013-06-11 13:23 taylorsharpe wrote

Store is going to be PCI Express flash storage.  Hmmmm.... I know nothing about it, but supposedly it is a lot faster than even SSD storage.

one clarification: "PCI Express flash storage" is SSD (Solid State Disk)

storage; what's different is that it has a faster bus, PCI Express instead of

conventional SATA; third-party PCI Express SSD systems have been available for

the current Mac Pros, e.g. from OWC:

<http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/Compatibility

• 2. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
            taylorsharpe

Ahhhh, so it is the connection between the SSD and the motherboard that has been improved.  I remember seeing OWC's ad about this, but not understanding what was going on.  Thanks for the clarification. 

By the way, I'm very impressed with a lot of things from OWC.  I also buy my RAM from them. 

• 3. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
              LyndsayHowarth

Cheaper for you than for me. Apple's pricing in Oz is pretty pricey...

Sent from my iPad

Lyndsay Howarth

11th Hour Group Pty Ltd

• 4. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                ch0c0halic

Steve,

Not sure I'd agree with you on it being a Solid State Drive (SSD). Although it does perform the function of internal long term storage. It does not connect to the SATA drive controller, which appears to be why SSD is called a Drive, so it is not controlled like an SSD. Perhaps their term "Solid State Storage" is more accurate albeit more generic?

http://electronicdesign.com/memory/evolution-solid-state-storage-enterprise-servers

PCIe Flash Adapters

Instead of plugging into a storage bay, a flash adapter plugs directly into a PCIe bus slot on the server’s motherboard, giving it direct access to the CPU and main memory (Fig. 3). The result is a latency as low as 50 µs for (buffered) I/O operations to solid-state storage. Because there are no standards yet for PCIe storage devices, flash adapter vendors must supply a device driver to interface with the host’s file system. In some cases, vendor-specific drivers are bundled with popular server operating systems.

• 5. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                  sporobolus

on 2013-06-11 18:01 ch0c0halic wrote

Not sure I'd agree with you on it being a Solid State Drive (SSD). Although it does perform the function of internal long term storage. It does not connect to the SATA drive controller, which appears to be why SSD is called a Drive, so it is not controlled like an SSD. Perhaps their term "Solid State Storage" is more accurate albeit more generic?

well, i think it's imprecise to call anything solid-state a "drive", as that

derives from the fact that motors were involved (tape drive, disk drive, DVD

drive); in current parlance, though, a drive is pretty much any hardware that

can serve as file storage (thumb drive); "solid state" is another funny case,

harking back to when transistors replaced tubes …

but i think we can settle this by noting that Apple itself is calling it a

solid-state drive:

"But we designed the new Mac Pro around new PCI Express-based flash controller

technology to deliver the fastest solid-state drives available standard in a

desktop computer."

<http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/>

also note the phrase "pcie ssd" appears several times in the article you

linked, and is used by many vendors, and gets very relevant google results

• 6. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                    PeterWindle

I'm really hoping that the pricing with the new model will be more achievable, this would be really nice. If they price it just above the fully equipped Mac-mini, it would be an attractive option for a lot of people.

• 7. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                      sporobolus

on 2013-06-12 24:47 PeterWindle wrote

I'm really hoping that the pricing with the new model will be more achievable, this would be really nice. If they price it just above the fully equipped Mac-mini, it would be an attractive option for a lot of people.

educated guess: prices will start at $2500

• 8. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                        taylorsharpe

I'm thinking the pricing will range from $2500 to $5000 depending on what options you pick.  Apparently the number of cores you get will be an option up to 12.  And with RAM available up to 128 GB, I can imagine you could spend a lot more on RAM than the computer.  I seriously doubt the base model will be less than $2000. 

One disadvantage is that it looks like most components are hard wired, except for RAM, and whatever you start off with (e.g., number of cores, amount of storage, video cards, etc.), it will have very limited upgradeability.  It will be similar to buying a Mac Air.  You really want to buy the one with the most that you might ever need because you can't really upgrade after you get it.  For most Macs this has been the norm, but many people think of the Mac Pro as the one Mac with lots of hardware upgrade flexibility and that probably won't be as true anymore. 

However, I am not at all disappointed in what I see in this new Mac Pro and I look forward to purchasing one.  I have some clients that will really jump at this to improve their FileMaker server performance. 

There is one thing I am a bit disappointed in.  I was hoping that Apple might try something radical on networking such as have one of the ethernet ports be 10 Gigabit speed.  Oh well.  Maybe someday there will be a 10 Gigabit ethernet to Thunderbolt adapter. 

• 9. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                          TomHays

taylorsharpe wrote:

One disadvantage is that it looks like most components are hard wired, except for RAM, and whatever you start off with (e.g., number of cores, amount of storage, video cards, etc.), it will have very limited upgradeability.

The internal PCIe flash storage is on a separate card. You can expect that this will be user-upgradable.

CPU and GPUs appear to be hard wired, but you should be able to add additional GPUs via Thunderbolt 2.

-Tom

• 10. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                            PeterWindle

I would REALLY like to see a server version released with only one GPU card, leaving the second slot available.

• 11. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                              mikebeargie

yeah, with that tri force logic board, anything that's not ram (or a HDD maybe) is not going to be expandable. They want their stuff to be sleek and compact, and want you to rely on external devices for the heavy lifting with thunderbolt.

Somewhere... there is a small quiet trumpet playing taps for the death of disc media drives in desktop computers...

• 12. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                                Mike Duncan

Maybe there is a market for someone who would tear these things down, re-mount them in a 1u rackmount server chassis and resell them. Perhaps figure out a way to put in a redundant power supply and maybe some other server-like options. Otherwise it will look good on your desk (or under your desk collecting dust bunnies.)

• 13. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                                  mikebeargie

If you're gathering dust bunnies, you could use your matching dyson iVacuum to clean them up.

Did anyone else laugh inside a bit at the design/form factor of the new mac?

• 14. Re: 2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm
                                    PeterWindle

No laughing here. I think, despite the fact that you can't shove lots of hard drives inside it, it's a great move. I am wondering if they are stackable, one on top of the other, it could possibly work (it might look more like a chimney)

It would be funny if you could see a whole room full of them chained together via optic cables, that would look a little like a scene from Alien.

;-)

I will say it again, if it's priced well, then I'll snap one up for sure and I'm sure lots of other people will too!

1 2 Previous Next