taylorsharpe

2013 MacPro Server..... hmmmmmm

Discussion created by taylorsharpe on Jun 11, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 by monkeybreadsoftware

I was reading up on the WWDC announcement about the new MacPro and trying to imagine how fast FileMaker Server will run on it. It sure seems to be an incredible machine. The MacWorld review is at http://www.macworld.com/article/2041329/the-new-mac-pro-hands-on-and-what-you-need-to-know.html#tk.nl_mwdaily

If you're a graphic artist, the two video cards will support up to three 4K monitors.... basically monitors that are 4 times as much resolution as a single HDTV. Now if I can only afford the monitors.

It is only about 10 inches high and 7 inches wide... and it is a cynlinder. Sure looks cool. I wonder how it will mount in a rack.

Haswell E5 Xeon chips will be screamers and Apple says about twice as fast as the current Xeon cpus in today's Mac Pro. And 12 cores sure will handle lots of threads for a FileMaker server with many many users simultaneously connected!

Store is going to be PCI Express flash storage. Hmmmm.... I know nothing about it, but supposedly it is a lot faster than even SSD storage. That will be welcome for a screaming fast database!

And you can configure it with up to 128GB or RAM! I can only imagine how much that will cost <grin>

I look forward to trying one out when they come out later this year! I bet it won't be cheap!

Outcomes