AnsweredAssumed Answered

Optimize Portal across a WAN with ExecuteSQL?

Question asked by WimLibby on Jun 13, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 by pmconaway

I have read many articles that describe how to speed up performance over a WAN, for example by not using summary fields or portals. So far, I can't figure out a way around using a portal in my solution, but wondered if using ExecuteSQL commands for the fields displayed in the portal would be a faster method then linking to other related tables. Any thoughts?

Below is a portion of my relationship graph. On a layout for Shows, I have a portal showing all the Exhibtors for that Show (Show_to_Exhibtiors). The portal only shows a few fields, but they are all bascially from other related tables. For example, I show Status and Company Name, which I get from related tables - see the graph.

My idea was to place new, unstored calculation fieldsd in Show_to_Exhibitors which are ExecutsSQL commands to get the Company name and Status. Then I don't need my portal to link to the other tables. I sort on the ExecuteSQL fields instead of on the field from the Show_to_Exhibitors_to_Company tables. If I understand FileMaker, this should speed it up because Filemkaer will not need to download all the data from the other tables, like each comapnies address, just to give me the company name. It woud just download the necesary records from Show_to_Exhibitors tables and what is necssary to complete the ExecuteSQL requests. It wouldn't have to also download records from multiple, related tables. Of course, this is all assuming the ExecuteSQL command is also not downloading all the other data as well - I could not find an answer to that question anywhere..

So, before I spend the time to figure out ExecuteSQL, I wanted to know if this approach was worth the effort or not.....

Capture.PNG

Outcomes