13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2013 2:32 PM by BeatriceBeaubien

Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?

flybynight

I searched the forum and see that this has been asked before… but I didn't find any concrete solutions. Maybe it just can't be done? Bummer.

I need to be able to script a save record as PDF to the user's desktop. Works great in FMP… but breaks in the Runtime of course. Installing other PDF/printer software on the user's computer is not an option.

Printing works fine, but saving a PDF would be so much more convenient.

Thanks!

-Shawn

• 1. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
          wsvp

FileMaker Runtime does not support PDF output directly, as well as a few other things, not really broken, these are more licensing issues.  On the Mac there a Print to PDF option built into the OS.  On Windows there are a number of third party programs and utilities that also allow Print to PDF.  Many are free.  I would do a search and find the one you like best.

• 2. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
            mikebeargie

Installing other PDF/printer software on the user's computer is not an option.

Then runtime is probably not an option based on WSVP's feedback above. If it's mission critical, you should consider the full version of filemaker.

Would a bundled plugin be an option? There are plenty of PDF maker plugins for filemaker that I'm sure would work in the runtime extensions folder. Maybe that would get you what you need?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
              gkhaselev

There is a plug-in called Scribe by 360Works. You would have to put it in the Runtime plugins folder as previously mentioned.

heres a link,

http://www.360works.com/filemaker-pdf-plugin/

• 4. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                flybynight

Just trying to make this as simple as possible for the users. This is a quoting module that we are giving to one of our clients, and they are distributing to their sales people. So, I don't know who will be using it, and therefore can't install things on their computer.

Of course, I already asked if they had FMP, or I would have just gone that route. I was also hoping they would have iPads because that would have been a slick answer as well. I might investigate some plug-ins. For now, printing is working. It's just annoying that Runtimes can't save to PDF natively.

Thanks!

-Shawn

• 5. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                  flybynight

That's funny - yesterday I was at a FMPUG meeting and Jesse from 360Works was there talking about MirrorSync. If I had seen this before that meeting, I would have asked him about it. But looking at the description, it appears that it's functionality is in getting text from and into PDF forms, not actually creating PDF files.

• 6. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                    Stephen Huston

FM Go supports output of PDF, and Go 12 is free. Maybe they want to run their  quoting application from an iOS device?

• 7. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                      headpooch

The problem is, as I understand it, that FM Go does not use the preview engine for rendering professional looking PDF files.

It's a major crippling of the FileMaker runtime solutions which needs to be rectified.

J.E. Jack

Minutiae Software

Sent from my iPhone 4s

(with a little help from Siri)

• 8. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                        PeterWindle

flyby,

I understand that you have said "This is a quoting module that we are giving to one of our clients, and they are distributing to their sales people. So, I don't know who will be using it, and therefore can't install things on their computer."

But actually, you are installing the run time software anyway, if you setup your filemaker solution to use a pdf print driver for printing, then install the pdf print driver when installing the runtime software (if the license agreement allows you to do that), this is the only real simple solution. It gets even more annoying when doing this from a Mac, because the OS has pdf printing included, but this only shows up in the print dialogue box as an option, not directly from filemaker.

I agree, pdf and charting should be included with a runtime. Of course, the pdf won't ever be included, due to licensing restrictions from adobe.

• 9. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                          LSNOVER

I use a free PDF "Printer" called Bullzip.   Nothing fancy, but it works and it's free.  Oops, sorry you can't use a third party option.  There's no current solution from Filemaker on this.

• 10. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                            jrenfrew

You can roll your own by putting in the work with ScriptMaster and iText.

I have just completed a complex PDF workflow for another developer which creates individual quotation sections, a cover sheet, the quotation, and then creates an index page based on how many pages are in each section, adds the whole thing together, add page numbering and a logo to selected pages, all delivered back to a container field (and for extra showing off points there is a version which does all fo this without even hiting the hard drive for temporary files) Fonts are also used from container fields so dont need to be installed on the end machine too. This particular one is also intelligent enough to recognize when the 'notes' are too long and skips the next item - pretty much impossible to do with any FileMaker workaround I know.

I admit it's not a trivial task but it ABSOLUTELY works with NO layouts involved and doesnt go anywhere near a print engine.

Sample attached

• 11. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                              BeatriceBeaubien

Hello John,

Wow. Very nice technique and it looks great.

(And also wow to the £6,000.00+ fireplace in his bathroom.)

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 12 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Jun 22, 2013, at 12:47, jrenfrew wrote

created by jrenfrew in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion

You can roll your own by putting in the work with ScriptMaster and iText.

I have just completed a complex PDF workflow for another developer which creates individual quotation sections, a cover sheet, the quotation, and then creates an index page based on how many pages are in each section, adds the whole thing together, add page numbering and a logo to selected pages, all delivered back to a container field (and for extra showing off points there is a version which does all fo this without even hiting the hard drive for temporary files) Fonts are also used from container fields so dont need to be installed on the end machine too.

I admint it's not a trivial taks but it ABSOLUTELY works with NO layouts involved and doesnt go anywhere near a print engine.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Advanced Discussion by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2013 • San Diego, California • August 12-15 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 12. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                                jrenfrew

Thanks Beatrice..

I demoed the basic technique at Pause in Portland at the beginning of the year running on the server, on demand using the IWP tricks, and now that 360Works have just released a new version of ScriptMaster you could also roll your own solution, use FMRPC the Jesse wrote with Mark Righman ( http://www.skeletonkey.com/FMRPC ) or FMDIFM from Fabrice which he just showed at Pause in Berlin ( http://www.1-more-thing.com/FMSDIFM.html )

The big news here is that it completely works from Go.

You could build the quote on-site with the client there and then create and email the full quotartion before you had even left the room.

John

• 13. Re: Solution to saving a PDF from a Windows Runtime?
                                  BeatriceBeaubien

Hi John,

I viewed the FMRPC video and downloaded Fabrice's recently posted sample file. It is an interesting way to move processes to server, particularly in the FM Go environment. I'm looking forward to understanding how to apply the approach to rolling my own PDF document generation.

Thank you and best wishes,

Beatrice

On Jun 22, 2013, at 16:41, jrenfrew wrote

created by jrenfrew in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion

Thanks Beatrice..

I demoed the basic technique at Pause in Portland at the beginning of the year running on the server, on demand using the IWP tricks, and now that 360Works have just released a new version of ScriptMaster you could also roll your own solution, use FMRPC the Jesse wrote with Mark Righman ( http://www.skeletonkey.com/FMRPC ) or FMDIFM from Fabrice which he just showed at Pause in Berlin ( http://www.1-more-thing.com/FMSDIFM.html )

The big news here is that it completely works from Go.

You could build the quote on-site with the client there and then create and email the full quotartion before you had even left the room.

John