4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 11:18 PM by disabled_JohnWolff

FMSA 12.0.4.405 installer will not finish - last log entry is "FMS Read Me (Swedish).pdf"

itraining

G'day everybody

Trying to install FMSA 12.0.4.405 (dev lic) on my iMac fails becuase the installer will not progress past the "FMS Read Me (Swedish).pdf" item in the installation log.

The iMac specs are:

Mac OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

Created the Folder: Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:Web Publishing:IWP

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:Web Publishing:FM_API_for_PHP_Standalone.zip

Created the Folder: Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:Web Publishing:conf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:Web Publishing:conf:jwpc_prefs.xml

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS Acknowledgements.pdf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS License.pdf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS Read Me (English).pdf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS Read Me (French).pdf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS Read Me (German).pdf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS Read Me (Italian).pdf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS Read Me (Japanese).pdf

Installed Macintosh HD:Library:FileMaker Server:FMS Read Me (Swedish).pdf

• 1. Re: FMSA 12.0.4.405 installer will not finish - last log entry is "FMS Read Me (Swedish).pdf"
          itraining

Ooops accidentally submitted form.

The iMac specs are:

Mac OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

RAM 8 Gb

Hard drive 2 Tb with 200 Gb free

Java specs are:

Java Standard Edition

Version 7 Update 21

Build 1.7.0_21-b12

The last 12 lines in the FMS Installer log are pasted above.

Leaving the installer for 30 minutes it does not progress past the "FMS Read me (Swedish).pdf"

Reading other posts, I have:

(a) uninstalled, re-installed (installaer does not progress past the "FMS Read me (Swedish).pdf"

(b) cleared Temporary files/cache in Java Control Panel

(c) uninstalled, re-installed again (installaer does not progress past the "FMS Read me (Swedish).pdf"

(d) tried to load localhost:16000 on my iMac and another iMac (cannot connect to FMS Admin web page)

QUESTIONS:

(1) In a healthy install, how many additional items are installed after the "FMS Read me (Swedish).pdf"?

(2) Can anyone suggest a workaround or troubleshooting tip to install FMS 12.0.4.405 on Mac OS X 10.8.4?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 2. Re: FMSA 12.0.4.405 installer will not finish - last log entry is "FMS Read Me (Swedish).pdf"

Hi Michael,

While I cannot now recall the exact specifics of my troublesome install, I have a vague feeling that I saw something similar to your situation. I then looked at the FM Server folder in /Library and saw a bunch of stuff that seemed to a legacy of my FMS V11 setup that I thought I'd Uninstalled.

Trashing that whole FM Server folder moved me forward so the FMS installation did finish leaving me with the pesky Admin Console issues.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/117848#117848

You should not have that problem as you've cleared all the Temporary files via the Java control panel.

I hope this helps,

John

• 3. Re: FMSA 12.0.4.405 installer will not finish - last log entry is "FMS Read Me (Swedish).pdf"
              itraining

Thanks John.

Trashing the FileMaker Server folder and all of its subfolders then installing FMSA 12.0.4.405 worked.

However, the installer seemed to hesitate with 0 items left to be installed and the last item displayed in the dialog box being the "FMS Read me (Swedish).pdf" file. I checked the FileMaker Server folder and all of the subfolders were present. Then the list of folders refreshed (flashed) and it looked like an additional folder "CStore" was created with 2 files (root.pem and server.pem). I returned to the installer it displayed the successful completion message and allowed me to continue to deployment.

Using the Safari web browser the localhost:16000 web page downloaded the admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp application but it did not run due to Mountain Lion's "unknown developer" security feature. In the list of downloads, I was able to right-click and use "Show in Finder" command. Next another right-click to Open... the admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp application. Mac OS X 10.8 displayed its "admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp is from an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it?" security message (see screenshot). I clicked "open" and the .jnlp application was allowed to launch.

In summary, installations are not getting easier with this mixture of OS X 10.8, Java 7, FMSA12 and additional security features.

On the positive side, the 12.0.4 and Java 7 upgrade did resolve my PHP custom web publishing issue (previously I could not get CWP working using FMSA12).

Bye for now.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

unknown developer.png

• 4. Re: FMSA 12.0.4.405 installer will not finish - last log entry is "FMS Read Me (Swedish).pdf"

Hi Michael,

I'm glad you made progress as I don't regard myself as any expert on Server issues, let alone FMS! It was a sheer coincidence that your description of the failure resonated with my own experience. I'm still not sure that deletion of the ancient FMS folder was needed or desirable. Whatever was there should surely have been overwritten during the installation. Perhaps it was the existence of some old .fp7 files that choked the installer.

I wish Technical Support at FMI could post a comprehensive trouble shooting flow chart but I suspect, and hope, that it has a much lower priority than their effort needed to replace Java altogether for the Admin Console.

I'd already disabled the Gatekeeper features of OS X 10.8 so was not hobbled by that "feature."

I have to agree when you surmise that installations of FMS are not getting any easier.

Cheers,

John