4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 8:22 AM by liyangao

How to get back the outside box of a field formated as checkbox or radiobuttons in FM12

liyangao

I used to be able to click on the box outside of a field to find all the records with this empty field in FileMaker 11. How come I can not see or click on the box outside of a checkbox or radiobutton field in FM12? In FM12, I can only click on individual checkbox or radiobutton. How do I change the setting in FM12 so that I can still use the outside box to find records with no selection of the checkbox or radiobutton field. I am aware of the work-around to use inididual checkbox or radiobutton to do the same search but it is so much easier to use the outside box.

Thank you very much for your insight and help!

Liyan

• 1. Re: How to get back the outside box of a field formated as checkbox or radiobuttons in FM12
          mikebeargie

Liyan, I'm not quite sure I understand what "outside box" you're referring to. Are you using a pre-formatted template or solution or a custom built one?

Can you post some screenshots to explain what's missing?

You can always place an unformatted text field or button (with script) on the layout to find for when a checkbox/radio set field is empty.

• 2. Re: How to get back the outside box of a field formated as checkbox or radiobuttons in FM12
            liyangao

Mike,

Thank you for your reply. The box I am referring to is the rectangle box outside the checkbox or the radiobuttons. You can see the box in edit layout mode. I used to be able to click on this box to select the variable in the find mode and use "=" to find empty entries in these field easily in FM 11. For the database converted from FM11 to FM12, I can still select the outside box to select the variable in FM12.  Thank you for the work-around of the unformatted text field solution. But it is convenient to be able to seach on the variable directly.

But that does not work in the new database I created in FM12. Now in FM12, I can not select and see the box outside of the checkbox or the radiobuttons in the find mode and I can only select each one of the checkbox or the radiobutton. I did not use any pre-formatted template or solution or any custom built one. So I suspect that it is some default setting which is changed in FM12. But I do not know where to go to change it back.

Thanks a lot for your insight!

Liyan

• 3. Re: How to get back the outside box of a field formated as checkbox or radiobuttons in FM12
              liyangao

I found that it is the layout theme. If I change the layout to Classic and click Find icon, I can select the checkboxs as a whole field but in non-classic theme, I cannot do it.

The question became whether there is a way to get the selection of field formatted as checkbox or radiobutton back in find mode in non-classic theme layout.

Thanks for your responses!

• 4. Re: How to get back the outside box of a field formated as checkbox or radiobuttons in FM12
                liyangao

I tried and tested and found the fix. In order to select a field formulated as checkbox set or radio buttons, one needs to add box lines around the field in the inspector/ appearance on a non-classic theme layout. After the box lines are added, one can select the line box instead of individual checkbox or radio button in the find mode on non-classic theme layout.

On Classic theme layout, the box outside was showing as default. So there is no problem there.

Thnaks for your responses!