10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 12:23 AM by zooid

Database Server stopping automatically in error?

zooid

FMS 12.0.4.405 on OSX 10.8.5 on Xserve

is automatically shopping service databases overnight.

This is not scheduled or scripted - or desired!

It is also highly disruptive.

The server logs show no Shutdown actions at all.

As far as I can tell this occurs after a scheduled backup.

Has anyone had this experience.

I suspect a corrupted schedule

• 1. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
          wimdecorte

Check the system.log file to see if there are more clues there.  If that one recorded a crash then maybe it can point to something that can be looked into.

• 2. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
            zooid

Thank you VERY much for your reply, Wim.

Unfortunately, the last Item that the logs show prior to needing to restart is:

Backup of "EDL Module" skipped because no changes were made since last backup; created hard link to last backup file "filemac:/example1/example2//EDL Module.fmp12".

so - no obvious error

I'm hoping this is just a corrupted schedule, as I have now written a fresh one in place of the old and will find out in 24 hours....

If it fails, I'll save mny schedules and reinstall FMS.

:R)

• 3. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
              wimdecorte

That's in the FMS event log, correct?  I meant the OSX system.log file that you can open through the Console application (not the FileMaker Server console).

• 4. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
                zooid

Yes. Apologies. I was looking at the Sysytem log within FMS Console.

The relevant log seems to be:

Jun 16 08:00:03 zooid046.local ReportCrash[4599]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.

Jun 16 08:00:06 zooid046.local distnoted[4620]: # distnote server agent  absolute time: 41930.866405512   civil time: Sun Jun 16 08:00:06 2013   pid: 4620 uid: 501  root: no

Jun 16 08:00:09 zooid046.local ReportCrash[4599]: failed looking up LS service ( scCreateSystemService returned MACH_PORT_NULL, called from SetupCoreApplicationServicesCommunicationPort, so using client-side NULL calls.

Jun 16 08:00:09 zooid046.local ReportCrash[4599]: LaunchServices/5123589: Unable to lookup coreservices session port for session 0x186a0 uid=0 euid=0

Jun 16 08:00:09 zooid046.local ReportCrash[4599]: failed looking up LS service ( scCreateSystemService returned MACH_PORT_NULL, called from SetupCoreApplicationServicesCommunicationPort, so using client-side NULL calls.

Jun 16 08:00:09 zooid046.local ReportCrash[4599]: LaunchServices/5123589: Unable to lookup coreservices session port for session 0x186a0 uid=0 euid=0

Jun 16 08:00:12 zooid046.local ReportCrash[4599]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[212] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2013-06-16-080012_zooid046.crash

It seems that

Unable to lookup coreservices session port for session 0x186a0 uid=0 euid=0

relates to notifications, so that may be where the problem lies

I have the crash log

fmserverd_xxxxx.crash

but am insufficiently versed in these things to understand it!

• 5. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
                  sporobolus

on 2013-06-17 7:14 zooid wrote

Jun 16 08:00:12 zooid046.local ReportCrash[4599]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[212] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2013-06-16-080012_zooid046.crash

It seems that

Unable to lookup coreservices session port for session 0x186a0 uid=0 euid=0

relates to notifications, so that may be where the problem lies

I have the crash log

fmserverd_xxxxx.crash

but am insufficiently versed in these things to understand it!

to begin with, the messages you quote are problems with the crash reporting

system, which kicks in after the crash has already happened, so they don't tell

us anything about what precipitated the crash; what are the last few entries in

the log just before the the "ReportCrash" items start showing up?

for someone not working on the source code of the application, only now and

then is there much to interpret in the the actual crash report, but if you'll

attach a zip i'll look at it

• 6. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
                    zooid

That is extremely kind of you Steve!

The repeating STOP of the database server in FMS hasn't occurred this AM (touch wood), which I would have expected at 0800 judging from the logs, so I'm cautiously hopeful that creating that particular Schedule from scratch has resolved the issue.

Failing that I'll reinstall FMS and also a fresh OSX, so please don't troube yourself to look at the log unless you're curiosity has been piqued!

(my email with attachment was refused by the Filemaker mail server, anyway!)

With best wishes

R

• 7. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
                      sporobolus

on 2013-06-18 4:30 zooid wrote

(my email with attachment was refused by the Filemaker mail server, anyway!)

note you have to go to the web version of the forum to do attachments; email is

a second-class citizen in the world of the Jive forum software

• 8. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
                        zooid

Thank you Steve,

Took me a few attempts to discover the 'Advanced' option in the forum!

• 9. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
                          sporobolus

on 2013-06-18 9:29 zooid wrote

Thank you Steve,

Took me a few attempts to discover the 'Advanced' option in the forum!

the fmserverd crashes are consistently happening in a "preference manager"

routine; i doubt you were manually setting FMS preferences at the time, so i

can only guess that as FMS runs scheduled events, it logs the results using

this routine; two of the four crashes were exactly on the hour, two were not;

are these the times of scheduled backups?

seeing the system log entries immediately preceding "ReportCrash" could still

reveal a cause

since the crash is somewhat consistent, i would suggest submitting the logs to FMI

• 10. Re: Database Server stopping automatically in error?
                            zooid

Thanks again, Steve.

This supports my supposition that the 0800 schedule was at fault.

Once again today, the new 0800 schedule has worked fine with no shutdown of the Database Server, supporting my notion that it was no more than a corrupted scedule preference, or something!

This wouldn't be so bad if FMS had sent me an email alert on the unscripted shutdown, as it does for most activities!

All the best,