2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 1:00 AM by filemaker@i-absolute.com

Question about FileMaker Server Cache

filemaker@i-absolute.com

I have a question about server cache.

FileMaker Server 12 Advanced latest update

Physical Memory 8GB

HDD SAS

Windows Server 2008 64bit in VM Environment

I have 4095MB of RAM avaible for databases cache and my databases size are average 380MB.

I reserved 1024MB or RAM for databases cache.

If i observe the chart about statistic, acceses cache is always hit 100% (Min, Max and Media).

I tryed to increase RAM for databases at the max avaible (4095MB) but my chart hit always 100%

I tryed to reduce to min (128MB) but my chart hit always 100%.

FileMaker recommended to keep the cache to be around 95% adjust amount of RAM reserved, but for me this method doesn't work!

What other precautions should I take?

Thanks, Fabio!

• 1. Re: Question about FileMaker Server Cache
          jbante

If you're getting a cache hit of 100% at the minimum cache size, great! Keep it that way until you notice the cache hit % decreasing. Think of the recommended cache hit of 95% as a minimum, rather than an optimum. Lower than that, and your users are likely to get less-than-stellar performance as data has to be read from disk instead of in-memory cache. Higher than 95% is gravy. Just be careful to balance that with the cache unsaved % — less is better, since that means the cache and data on disk are being kept in sync better. If the cache unsaved % is frequently more than 5-10%, you may need to (1) get faster disks, and (2) reduce the cache size to force Server to flush data to disk more frequently.

• 2. Re: Question about FileMaker Server Cache
            filemaker@i-absolute.com

Thank you jbante, I will follow your advice!