10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 3:45 PM by RonSmithMD

Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air

RonSmithMD

Just got in a new MacBook Air with the new Haswell chip. There is a serious problem with the sleep mode. No longer is there a setting in the Energy Saver to prevent sleep while running on Battery. The laptop will go to sleep regardless.

This is very significant because every time the laptop goes to sleep it disconnects FileMaker Client from FileMaker Server. That's because Airport goes to sleep and the connection is gone. Upon waking FileMaker will report then that the connection has been closed.

So, either FileMaker (I hope they are listening) will have to re-engineer the client-server connection in a hurry, or they or someone knows a work-around to prevent sleep while running on battery. It makes me wonder if FileMaker engineers don't communicate with Apple engineers on significant things like this?

Ron Smith, MD

• 1. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
          mikebeargie

I hate to drag out the quote "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one", but it seems that was apple's take on this release in exchange for upping the battery life.

Hopefully filemaker is listening, there's sort of a "hibernation" functionality within Filemaker Go that allowed for suspended sessions, I would think that would be what's needed for the desktop version of Filemaker as well.

• 2. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
            RonSmithMD

I'm a fan of smaller size and longer battery life, but it can use the nap mode to check email, etc, while sleeping. Maybe FileMaker could implement napping in client pretty easily?

Ron

From the iPhone of Ron Smith

• 3. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
              wimdecorte

Perhaps, but don't forget that the FMP to FMS connection is one of CONSTANT communication & notifications unlike email for instance with is just a burst and then nothing, no persistent connection.

So none of this would be a quick fix.

• 4. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
                RonSmithMD

Actually it is isn't that constant. If you close the MacBook lid and reopen it within a minute or so, you can see that you are still connected. It is interesting that you can do the same with sleep, that is if you wake it within a minute or so then you will find sometimes that you are not disconnected.

I think the napping setting is interesting and if FileMaker could integrate that feature into client that I could really go all day at my office seeing patients without ever hooking up to power. That's not to say that I wouldn't hook up to power, but I'm all about lighter weight and longer battery life. The new MacBook Air Haswell is clearly no second rate laptop. I did go to the ceiling with the memory and SSD and CPU specs that were available. But I use that one machine to manage all the hosts and laptops in my office, develop my practice management/emr solution, and all the other server stuff I do. I think this is going to be the best machine I've ever had and I really did like the MacBook Air 2012 that I am putting into service with one of my nurse practitioners.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 5. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
                  DrewTenenholz

Ron --

You might try looking into the Terminal command 'pmset'  (try 'man pmset') to see if the settings can be done that way.  Just because Apple removed something on a control panel doesn't mean you can't get at the same setting another way.

I agree with what you are suggesting, but this may help get you through for now.

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 6. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
                    mikebeargie

If you're considering other solutions to this issue as well, you might want to consider a decentralized / offline data option.

There's no reason (I know of) that you couldn't use GoZync or MirrorSync for syncing data up, down and around to keep the database entirely localized per machine.

• 7. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
                      RonSmithMD

I've been googling just that and am hopeful for a terminal fix. Ill play with it tonight. Thanks, Drew.

• 8. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
                        RonSmithMD

Except my files are 76gigs. And it won't matter because the problem occurs when I'm in the office and the server is down the hall 20 feet. Thanks Mike.

• 9. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
                          DrewTenenholz

Ron --

Admittedly, I'm still a dinosaur using 10.6 but since I am, I can confirm that

sudo pmset -b sleep 0

makes the setting change so the laptop will not sleep while it is on battery, since I can see it in the System Preferences>Energy Saver control panel.

replace 'sleep' with 'disksleep' if you don't want the disk to sleep (although that may not exist/be relevant on a SSD machine)

replace 'sleep' with 'displaysleep' to set the number of minutes after which the display will go dark.

replace '-b' with '-c' (for charger) to change the settings when the machine is plugged in.

replace '-b' with '-a' to change the setting for all power sources.

HTH,

Drew Tenenholz

• 10. Re: Sleep Mode on New MacBook Air
                            RonSmithMD

That's great, Drew! I just haven't had time to look today, yet, but I'll be able to test this tomorrow when I get to the office. I'll report back too.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle