13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 5:19 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Question

tina

Can anyone recommend a developer filemaker company that we could use to help us with our databse.

• 1. Re: Question
          Draco

in that country?

• 2. Re: Question
            tina

In London England

• 3. Re: Question
              Malcolm

without judging anyone, the more certifications anyone has the longer he/she/it is in business (means, has some decent knowledge).

Egbert, this is not a reasonable thing to say. The certification exams have never been compulsory and they were only introduced a few years back. In FBA meetings here in Sydney there is a regular show of hands as we are asked who has certification. Most haven't sought certification and a lot of us have been around since v2 or v3.

Malcolm

• 4. Re: Question
                StephenWonfor

Tina

I will concur with Malcolm - I have spent 22 years with Filemaker and have never seen the need for certification.

Stephen

• 5. Re: Question
                  GaryTate

We can probably help, what are you after?

Www.tgisolutions.co.uk

Gary

• 6. Re: Question
                    GaryTate

It's an interesting and useful process to go through and although not compulsory by any means, it does show a level of knowledge.

I've done the exam for v8 and recently v10 (I plan to get v11 and v12 when I get round to it)

I'd say to use it as an indicator, not the be all and end all.

Gary

• 7. Re: Question
                      Mike_Mitchell

I'd tend to agree. Many developers spent many years as in-house developers before stepping out on their own. So while certification is a "feather in the cap" and does indicate a good knowledge of the product, not having lots of them doesn't necessarily indicate a "newbie".

Mike

• 8. Re: Question
                        LyndsayHowarth

I agree completely. I have used and taught and developed in every version of FileMaker on the Mac.... Long before it became 'Pro'. I have supported myself as an independent FileMaker consultant & Developer since 1994. I have FileMaker 9 certification only.

As a trained teacher I have some specific problems with this kind of 'Mastery' learning and testing method. The test does not test then skills of a developer but rather their knowledge of the skills a developer might have. It is also conducted in an alien environment on an alien computer. IN my opinion it does not test what it sets out to test..... although I have been assured by some who have done the recent tests that this has changed.... but I was questioning the validity of their achievement and they responded aggressively.

I believe the best way To choose a consultant is to ask for a recommendation.... or several. Then talk to them about your project and see if they appear to know what they are doing and can show you adequate samples.... then think really hard about whether you enjoy their company either in person or remotely. You are starting a relationship!

Sent from my iPad

Lyndsay Howarth

11th Hour Group Pty Ltd

• 9. Re: Question
                          wimdecorte

Malcolm wrote:

without judging anyone, the more certifications anyone has the longer he/she/it is in business (means, has some decent knowledge).

Egbert, this is not a reasonable thing to say. The certification exams have never been compulsory and they were only introduced a few years back. In FBA meetings here in Sydney there is a regular show of hands as we are asked who has certification. Most haven't sought certification and a lot of us have been around since v2 or v3.

I think it is a reasonable thing to say because it does not pass a judgement.  Being certified and having a number of them just shows a track record and a commitment.  The FM certification has been around for close to 10 years now (since FM 7).

Agreed that certification in and by itself should not be the only way to measure someone's quality but like I said it does show a level of commitment and assumes a level of basic knowledge.  It certainly gets a foot in the door.  After that it comes down to proven excellency in the realm you're after and quite frankly how well you get along, how much trust you have in the deveoper / team of developers.

• 10. Re: Question
                            sporobolus

on 2013-06-19 9:25 StephenWonfor wrote

I will concur with Malcolm - I have spent 22 years with Filemaker and have never seen the need for certification.

i think it's 24 or 25 years for me, i consult in several areas, but still keep

up my FileMaker chops with no certs

• 11. Re: Question
                              Malcolm

Being certified and having a number of them just shows a track record and a commitment.

Quite so, but many of the most experienced do not have certification badges.

Malcolm

• 12. Re: Question
                                AlanStirling

Hi Developers

I'm worried that this discussion has turned into a list of excuses as to why some of you don't want to take the certification exam.

I haven't seen anyone suggest the only valid reason - "I've got too much work, so I don't need any new customers!"

Please look at this from your prospective customer's point of view.

How can your prospects separate you from the other developers working in your area? Perhaps by the number of certifications one developer has compared to another?

Why limit yourself when the exam is testing you on what you do every day and by passing the exam you will have an obvious advantage over other developers who have not bothered.

From my own point of view, I have taken and passed every certification exam and now, truthfully - "I've got too much work, so I don't need any new customers!"

Here in the UK, although I'm a small developer, I'm normally up in the top six on FileMaker's list of developers (sorry - consultants) on their website and that is what I put my overload of work down to and you could be in that situation too.

I'm not complaining, but I might start to worry if everyone over here suddenly started to take the certification exams …

Just to take up Malcolm's last comment: I'm afraid your prospects don't realise that: " … Many of the most experienced do not have certification badges". I suspect that many prospects only look for developers with certificates - the more the merrier.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 13. Re: Question
                                  Mike_Mitchell

Alan -

While I agree with much of what you've said - that certification separates you from other developers, that not taking it may be limiting yourself - I don't agree that the "only valid reason" not to take the exam is that you have too much work. In my case, for example, I worked exclusively as an in-house developer for the vast majority of my career. In such a case, the certification was virtually useless; it served no purpose at my company (which took it in no consideration for raises or promotions and refused to pay for it). Once I started doing work on the side, then yes, I took the exam.

So perhaps considering other perspectives might be useful. Individual situations may not match exactly what you have in mind.

Just my $0.02.

Mike