4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 4:30 AM by RonSmithMD

pdf document - converting it to a filemaker layout

PeterWindle

does anyone know what is the quickest, simplest way to convert a pdf document to a filemaker layout?

The pdf document is a form with lots of boxes containing text, checkboxes and other odds and ends.

Copying the text is not enough to replicate this document, any suggestions on how to convert it to a filemaker layout, or should it just be created from scratch?

• 1. Re: pdf document - converting it to a filemaker layout

Hi Peter,

I've always found it darn near impossible to extract data from a pdf. But then I've not tried PDFpen by SmileOnMyMac, nor DocuBin by 360Works. Both are more likely to provide access to the data than the design elements that you seem to be wanting for a layout.

Besides, the original purpose of the pdf file format was to make it secure from tampering. Thus I don't anticipate any straight forward process and you might have to recreate the layout components from scratch.

If you can get at the XML code that might be embedded in the pdf document then FMButler's ClipManager might prove useful. It is very good at showing you far more than you need to know about an FMP 12 layout!!

Regards,

John

• 2. Re: pdf document - converting it to a filemaker layout
            RonSmithMD

I just put the PDF right on the layout, lock it down, and then put my fields where they need to go to match up with it. I also do this with the HCFA 1500s particularly because the color matters when they scan those in.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 3. Re: pdf document - converting it to a filemaker layout
              PeterWindle

Ron, I'm assuming here that the pdf when placed on the layout gets 'converted' to a jog or png image, so my question is this, how well does this print?

• 4. Re: pdf document - converting it to a filemaker layout
                RonSmithMD

Well, I actually make the HCFA part invisible and laser print on the preprinted HCFA forms which have the special red ink. That way the text shows through in the correct places on the form.

I changed it and and created a PDF of the printout (which has the PDF) so you can see for yourself if you like, Peter? That file is uploaded into my private space and you or anyone can download it and print it out for yourself.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle