1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 3:25 PM by sporobolus

G-Drive for External Backup becomes un-writable

ingridblaauw

I have a G-drive connected to my mac pro running OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion), hosting FM Pro Server 12. The server app itself backups onto the internal drive, and then I am using a program called Chronosync to back up one of the server's internal backups to my G-drive every night. This solution will work for several days, and then will suddenly return an error, indicating that the drive will not allow itself to be written to. I am able to see the drive on my desktop, see directories on the drive, but not actually add a new backup to the drive. The solution has been to disconnect the drive and re-attach, or reboot my server (both of which are not great options). I'd like to replace my g-drive with another external drive. Does anyone know of an external drive that will work in this configuration without any issues of becoming unwrite-able over time?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: G-Drive for External Backup becomes un-writable
          sporobolus

on 2013-06-20 11:43 ingridblaauw wrote

I have a G-drive connected to my mac pro running OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion), hosting FM Pro Server 12.  The server app itself backups onto the internal drive, and then I am using a program called Chronosync to back up one of the server's internal backups to my G-drive every night.  This solution will work for several days, and then will suddenly return an error, indicating that the drive will not allow itself to be written to.

your workflow appears sounds, though i haven't used Chronosync personally

can you post the exact error message? i can't see why the G-Drive would behave

differently from other external drives, so i think the error is more likely

with Chronosync or the OS; i can find a few reports of external drives

spontaneously becoming read-only, but not clear cause

also, is the G-Drive bus-powered or self-powered? i would recommend the latter

for server purposes