4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 11:13 AM by ianblackburn

Wordpress, Gravity Forms, and FileMaker

BruceRobertson

I have a client who is getting a web site developed by an expensive developer, using Wordpress and Gravity Forms.

My client wants to integrate travel related information, publishing some information to their site, pulling some traveler inquiries from web forms, and ultimately capturing the data in FileMaker.

We have pursued an approach using MySQL on the web side, then using ESS to read or write resulting data.

I am confounded the thought processes of the web developers.

I am stunned. They seem to make everything extremely difficult, reading and writing to complex unmodifiable Wordpress tables, then complaining if we ask them to write to a more normalized structure.

The Wordpress and Gravity Forms seems to be all the rage but I can't see why.

Gravity Forms is basically EAV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity–attribute–value_model

And the warnings seem to be exactly correct:

There are certain cases where an EAV schematic is an optimal approach to data modelling for a problem domain. However, in many cases where data can be modelled in statically relational terms an EAV based approach is an anti-pattern which can lead to longer development times, poor use of database resources and more complex queries when compared to a relationally-modelled data schema.

Do any of you work with Wordpress/Gravity Forms and integrate with FileMaker?

Do practitioners of this technology ever make sense when looked at from a data structure perspective?

Bruce Robertson

• 1. Re: Wordpress, Gravity Forms, and FileMaker
          jormond

I haven't used Gravity Forms, however we had a web developer that was working with us that did the same thing.  Some of it wasn't his fault, but the concept of a normalized data structure clear illuded him. And he looked at me cross eyed when I tried to explain what I needed done so that I didn't need to parse 10 fields worth of data out of single field...edit...recompile...and save back to the database.

And the base of the project was a Wordpress plugin that was going to be modified.  But the plugin was so bad, and so conveluted...we wasted almost a year and a sickening amount of money trying to untangle it.

It seems to be a somewhat common phenmenon in that end of the technology world. It's so much different from a properly formed content management system that I'm used to seeing from many in the FM community.

• 2. Re: Wordpress, Gravity Forms, and FileMaker
            beverly

I've read all the replies. Yes, WP and many of its plugins make for overly complex coding. EAV usage makes it much more so complex. Say bye bye to those elegant SQL queries. And interaction between FM / MySQL (ESS or otherwise) may require PHP & web work.

Sorry. WP is meant to be 'easy' content management via the web, but only after the coders keep you out of the behind-the-curtain.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 3. Re: Wordpress, Gravity Forms, and FileMaker
              usbc

Bruce, This may / may not be a starting point:

It is a FMP plugin for WordPress.

Lauren Kuhlman Consulting, 3130 N Lake Shore Dr Suite 1914 Chicago, IL 60657

WordPress FileMaker Sync

• 4. Re: Wordpress, Gravity Forms, and FileMaker
                ianblackburn

Does anyone know what happened to Lauren Kuhlman? I purchased a WordPress-FileMaker Sync license, but never got a license key, and she seems to have vanished from the Internet altogether.