7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 5:07 AM by mikebeargie

Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch

gfsymon

I'm trying to create a simple layout for iOS, which has 3 portals on it. I want 2 of these to be visible in portrait orientation and all 3 to be visible in horizontal orientation. To this end I've successfully used object locking so that the 2nd portal slides to the right when the iOS device is rotated thus revealing the previously hidden 3rd portal (thanks to Philmodjunk on the user forums for the tip). This works really well, except that in Portrait mode, the 'hidden' portal is visible through the 2nd portal when the iOS ‘rubber band’ effect happens. (The list ‘bounces’ when you hit the top or bottom).

I've tried covering the 'hidden' 3rd portal with a graphic fill etc. but this doesn't work. It becomes transparent too, in that the portal it's supposed to be hiding, is still seen 'through' it.

Does any know how I can make the either the 2nd portal 'solid' so that I can't see through it, or ... some way of 'covering' or otherwise completely hiding the 3rd portal, so that it remains totally hidden until it is revealed when the iOS device is rotated to horizontal and the 2nd portal subsequently slides out of the way to reveal it?

Any help very much appreciated!

Grant

• 1. Re: Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch
          mikebeargie

Hi Grant,

Not saying this is a way to go, but an alternative I've seen used is to use a webviewer or repeating field loading virtual list data instead of a portal. Portal objects are treated kind of funky on iOS from what I've seen. You could run some test layouts replacing your right two portals with web viewers or repeating fields (empty) to see if it behaves as you wish.

With virtual lists, you could also make larger portal "scroll" buttons as well.

• 2. Re: Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch
            gfsymon

Thanks Mike.

I always thought that repeating fields were funkier than portals.   Perhaps not?  I shall take a look.

The reason I like the portals is because they scroll so well with the touch UI.  Even on a Mac actually, but they're really nice on iOS.

Something that they need to update for FMP13 is to have Portals able to scroll, even when you un-check the 'Show vertical scrollbar' option in their settings.  The scrollbar is redundant, except as a way of showing vaguelly how many portal rows there are and your approximate position in that list.  I honestly haven't pressed a scroll arrow 'button' in a very very long time. Many years.  Do people still use mice without scroll-wheels?  I've been using a trackpad for such a long time.

• 3. Re: Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch
              Malcolm

Something that they need to update for FMP13 is to have Portals able to scroll, even when you un-check the 'Show vertical scrollbar' option in their settings. 

That will break all the solutions that presently used a fixed number of portals.

malcolm

• 4. Re: Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch
                gfsymon

Why would it break them?  All it would mean is that a touch UI or scroll-wheel would work without the scrollbar (the scrollbar being particularly pointless on iOS).

• 5. Re: Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch
                  Malcolm

Why would it break them?  All it would mean is that a touch UI or scroll-wheel would work without the scrollbar (the scrollbar being particularly pointless on iOS).

You answer the question yourself. The portals would scroll, revealing other portal rows which we do not want to display.

A portal without a scrollbar is a fixed object. It has a specific meaning. It means "show only these records", or in other words, "limit the list of related records which may be accessed to records x through y".

You want a setting to hide the scrollbar on iOS while retaining the scrolling functionality, perhaps they'll make it the default for iOS but they have to retain existing functionality.

malcolm

• 6. Re: Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch
                    gfsymon

Ah okay.

Well I kind of imagined that existing functionality would not be lost.  An extra check box to say 'portals do not scroll' would do it.

• 7. Re: Hiding portal for iOS orientation switch
                      mikebeargie

Don't forget that FM Go is still a relatively new product. It's only been available for 2 desktop versions of Filemaker, so everything won't be "finished" for a few more releases yet.

What Malcolm says is very important to consider before dropping out "Filemaker needs to do _____", with thousands of developers worldwide, a lot of us use the features and "bread & butter" of filemaker in different ways,

I'd much rather see horizontal scrolling portals on desktops before an FM Go portal update. Finger sliding also makes clicking in portal fields a lot more difficult.

With virtual listing, it doesn't matter really what method you use to display the data (portals, repeating fields, web viewers, even merge variables), it's whatever fits your application best.